Need a. ittle help with goats

hunterdan

Bringing home a couple of Nigerian dwarf goats soon. I have shelter, browse, hay, fresh water and fenced area.
What else might I need?
Any recommendations for medications/worming...?

Safeguard and Cydectin sheep drench for worming

Ultra Boss or CyLence for topical use for lice and mites

Shears for hoof trimming

Complex B 12
Biomycin/ LA 200 antibiotics

Goat nutridrench
Probiotics
Electrolytes

A mineral block on demand
Trace mineral powder to add to any grazing feed in a bucket.

Feel free to reach out with anything else.

Safeguard and Cydectin sheep drench for worming

Ultra Boss or CyLence for topical use for lice and mites

Shears for hoof trimming

Complex B 12
Biomycin/ LA 200 antibiotics

Goat nutridrench
Probiotics
Electrolytes

A mineral block on demand
Trace mineral powder to add to any grazing feed in a bucket.

Feel free to reach out with anything else.
I'll keep my dog. Geeze.

Any goat people have issues with coyotes or other predators? Its crossed my mind to have a few weedeaters to help clean out some kudzu on my property, but they seem like easy prey.

They really are pretty self sustaining. The maintenance shots are only bi-annual or as needed to fend off worms. Same with the lice/mights. The more trees/shrubs they have to eat they won’t get worms from grazing short grass (nose in the dirt) and also will help scratching away hair and dander where the mights and lice can proliferate. Hooves are every three to four months depending on the type on ground they are on. Soft soil = more often. Trimming hooves isn’t hard either. It’s like clipping toenails.

They really are pretty self sustaining. The maintenance shots are only bi-annual or as needed to fend off worms. Same with the lice/mights. The more trees/shrubs they have to eat they won’t get worms from grazing short grass (nose in the dirt) and also will help scratching away hair and dander where the mights and lice can proliferate. Hooves are every three to four months depending on the type on ground they are on. Soft soil = more often. Trimming hooves isn’t hard either. It’s like clipping toenails.
Ah well that doesn’t sound so bad then

We've kept goats for 20 years. Nigerian are our favorites. If it's not already a done deal, get goats with black hooves. They require far less trimming. We worm ours once a year with an oral wormer like ivermectin for horses. Just triple the dose. I know it sounds wrong but because of a goats rumen (stomachs) they require more wormer. Keep a continual source of hay that doesn't have large stems. No cow hay. We've had coyotes for a while but none have climbed the 4' tall field fence. I'll tell you a cool story about one of our Nigerians. All the goats had started sneezing (hilarious way they warn each other) and had formed a shoulder to shoulder line in the field. A bear was messing around in the woods and our only goat with no horns broke formation, raised her fur, walked to the gate, and dared the bear to come on over. It was amazing to watch her watch over her twin babies. She was going to mess that bear up. We also used to hike with our goats so there's that too.

@thebrotherinlaw some of the guys i know out west use their goats as pack goats on some long back country hikes. they say pound for pound the goats will carry more longer with less upkeep and fuss than anything else out there. plus he said the game doesnt even notice him coming in alot of places since they are use to seeing sheep

@thebrotherinlaw some of the guys i know out west use their goats as pack goats on some long back country hikes. they say pound for pound the goats will carry more longer with less upkeep and fuss than anything else out there. plus he said the game doesnt even notice him coming in alot of places since they are use to seeing sheep
It's amazing how the deer are cool with us as long as we're hanging with the goats. One time were hiking and a mountain biker rode up to us. For some reason the goats just didn't like this guy and they kept standing on their back legs and tilting their horns towards him. The guy was getting nervous and finally asked if the goats were going to hurt him. He was only wearing shorts and was covered from head to toe with prison tats. He decided to turn around and ride the other way. Man that was funny.

All I know is @thebrotherinlaw's goats won't turn their back to you. Not sure why?
My wife even laughed at this.
Here's the group. The billy arrived today and has been butting the female and the buckling. He has also tried mounting the female. I'm guessing he's just establishing dominance...?
I had to wrangle him in the pen by his horns. Can't get the smell off my hands yet.

Attachments

• IMG_20220308_160237573.jpg
    IMG_20220308_160237573.jpg
    278.9 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_20220308_160252597.jpg
    IMG_20220308_160252597.jpg
    293.3 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_20220308_160304882.jpg
    IMG_20220308_160304882.jpg
    288.9 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_20220308_160300728.jpg
    IMG_20220308_160300728.jpg
    294.3 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_20220308_160313991.jpg
    IMG_20220308_160313991.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
Not saying anyone is wrong but it has been stressed to me by my vet a couple times by my vet that it's not good to worm my goats unless they have them. Otherwise they become immune to the worm medicine. Check the insides of their eye lids they should be nice and pink.
Also beyond popular belief goats don't need many grains if any at all. To much grains/corn can cause major problems.

My buddy Bev kept goats a long time but a couple of years ago switched to a breed of meat sheep. @thebrotherinlaw yeah that smell can stick around LOL 🤣

@lockedup5 you're not wrong that they can become immune to over medication just like any mammal can and yes, the inside of the upper/lower eyelid is a great indicator but not 100% accurate for just being worms. Anything to do with pine trees is a great natural worm preventative (not a cure). They eat the needles and will nibble the soft bark on limbs. Also you can buy sericea lespedeza pellets or bales and it is also an awesome tool to manage parasite load in the guts. It is easily planted too for forage depending on your soil type and preference (it is considered by some to be an invasive species). Either way the Lespedeza and pine are effective preventers due to the high level of tannin.

New addition to the fam. 9 week old Pyrenees boy.
Got him from a farm with chickens, goats, cows, guineas and more. He was raised in with the animals and has had very little human interaction. We don't think he's ever had a bath. He was shy last night and didn't like being touched. Today our corgi "Do-dah" has broken through. She loves him. Anyway, he's playing, wagging his tail and eating from our hand. I expect he'll fit right in.
Any name suggestions?
So far we are thinking,
Boo
Gabe
Moe

Attachments

• IMG_20220311_111749965_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220311_111749965_HDR.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_20220311_113700874.jpg
    IMG_20220311_113700874.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 119