need a monochrome printer...what is good please, $160 budget

marty79

hey everyone, i need to buy a printer asap and my budget is $160 but there are way too many options and reviews of both good and bad for so many brands lol.
Needs to be Monochrome please, thank you for input!!!

Buy a laserjet. I have a nice canon fax/scan/print in the office that probably wasn't much more than that, can go through probably 6 reams of paper before having to change a cartridge.

spent 10 years as a copier technician....

Canon is top of the line. great copiers. but... in the budget copier/printer world....

go with brother, if they still have their warranty program.

they used to have the best warranty around. free repairs for 1 year. when the year is over replace the machine when it dies.

start again with new warranty and new toner for $150

I've been running the predecessor to this printer for ages, I'll probably switch to this one next because they don't make the toner cartridge for mine anymore.... Laser is the way to go at cost per page for Black and White, and if you only print a few times a year like I do, the ink won't dry out on you!

Amazon product ASIN B00NQ1CLTI

Buy a B+W laser. Don't mess with an inkjet.

Brother makes good printers and you can easily hit that price point. I also have no issue with HP's. If you can find a business grade HP either used or refurbed in that price range, buy it. Those are usually bulletproof.

I lucked into a HP1215 color laser in the discount bin when CompUSA has the store in Durham. Paid $80 for it and it's still going strong 8 years later.

Buy a B+W laser. Don't mess with an inkjet.

Brother makes good printers and you can easily hit that price point. I also have no issue with HP's. If you can find a business grade HP either used or refurbed in that price range, buy it. Those are usually bulletproof.

I lucked into a HP1215 color laser in the discount bin when CompUSA has the store in Durham. Paid $80 for it and it's still going strong 8 years later.

havent messed around the site in a long time.... but

used to carry almost any part you needed for DIY repair your paying full retail for the part but saving the $90 an hour service charge for labor.

if you can rebuild a winch you can rebuild a printer. especially in the newere HP commercial printer (LJ-4000 and newer) its all modular. i maintained the printer fleet for Wake forest for years. super simple stuff to work on.

and you can usually find an LJ42xx for LJ43xx used for pretty cheap. pop a new fuser and toner cartridge in it and be good to go for a long time.

havent messed around the site in a long time.... but

used to carry almost any part you needed for DIY repair your paying full retail for the part but saving the $90 an hour service charge for labor.

if you can rebuild a winch you can rebuild a printer. especially in the newere HP commercial printer (LJ-4000 and newer) its all modular. i maintained the printer fleet for Wake forest for years. super simple stuff to work on.

and you can usually find an LJ42xx for LJ43xx used for pretty cheap. pop a new fuser and toner cartridge in it and be good to go for a long time.
What he said.

I also did commercial laser printer repair for many years. I just didn't understand why more people didn't fix their own. They were super easy to fix. Good for me though.

Thanks for all the input everyone

Back