Need a new phone

awheelterd

Been rocking the same Galaxy S5 for 7 years now. I think I have grinding dust in the microphone because everyone I talk to says that it sounds like I'm talking to them in a hurricane. I've had it in a life proof case since day one and I'm on my third case. I got the last s5 life proof I could find on amazon last year. I don't want a new phone payment though. Anyone have a reputable source for newish used phones? I'd like to stick with android since it's what I know. I use my phone for calls, text and surfing the net via my chrome browser and taking pictures. I don't have tons of apps. Just what were on the phone when I bought it verizon plus maybe 4 or 5 more.

So basically, what phone do I need an where should I get it?

Just buy a Pixel 3a. Good battery, great camera, frequent updates, no bloatware, $400 cash.

Good on you for making one last 7 years. Mine are usually on their last legs after 18 mos.

Just buy a Pixel 3a. Good battery, great camera, frequent updates, no bloatware, $400 cash.

Good on you for making one last 7 years. Mine are usually on their last legs after 18 mos.

I've looked at pixels, I liked what I saw. Is the 400 from verizon or somewhere else?

I was gonna recommend the pixel 2/3/4 or Samsung S10e which is what im typing on right now. They both have their plus and minuses, but are a good form factor and get the job done. Pixel camera is better, but Google keyboard does some really screwed up stuff when editing.

I've looked at pixels, I liked what I saw. Is the 400 from verizon or somewhere else?

Pixel 3a - The phone that gets it done - Google Store

I was gonna recommend the pixel 2/3/4 or Samsung S10e which is what im typing on right now. They both have their plus and minuses, but are a good form factor and get the job done. Pixel camera is better, but Google keyboard does some really screwed up stuff when editing.

Mine has been fine for months, but just started doing the editing thing again in the last few weeks. Cyd says her Samsung is the same way.

400 unlocked from google. Cool. That's probably what I'll do. Thanks

I've been happy enough w/ my S7. Yes its an older phone but if you don't use yours for much, something like that is fine. You could get one for like $60. Its waterproof and w/ a $30 Defender case it's basically indestructible.
The reason I haven't upgraded (aside from not needing to) that all the newer S series have a curved edge screen. From what I've seen it's very difficult to find cases that cover those edges, and as a result if dropped it can hit the glass and crack or scratch. I fail to understand why anybody would want that.

Buy Apple. I’m hard as hell on phones and mine is almost 3 years old now :flipoff2:

But seriously. We bought my gf a 150 dollar android phone from Walmart. It’s amazing how good the cheap phones are.

edit. She has a a20 Samsung

I've had Motorola phones for ever, and you can usually find one model or another for a pretty good deal on Motorola's site. For example, I think I paid $375 for a pair of Moto G6 a little over a year ago on sale (they were $250 or $299 normally I think), and they work great for our simple phone needs. Phones at that price point don't set the world on fire for performance, but they're basically disposable so I don't worry about hurting them. I've got less than $200 in it, who cares?
That also means that nothing bad actually happens to them, just like a pair of cheap sunglasses.

I've been happy enough w/ my S7. Yes its an older phone but if you don't use yours for much, something like that is fine. You could get one for like $60. Its waterproof and w/ a $30 Defender case it's basically indestructible.
The reason I haven't upgraded (aside from not needing to) that all the newer S series have a curved edge screen. From what I've seen it's very difficult to find cases that cover those edges, and as a result if dropped it can hit the glass and crack or scratch. I fail to understand why anybody would want that.
Take a look at the S10e. Its basically a slightly smaller S10 with a normal screen and no telephoto lens for the camera.

X2 for Motorola. I have been using Motorola phones for a long time and they last me several years. But I always put a otter box and screen protector on them as soon as I get them.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Take a look at the S10e. Its basically a slightly smaller S10 with a normal screen and no telephoto lens for the camera.

This!

I also have the s10e. I got the upper model, which has the same amount of ram as the s10. Not as bulky as the larger phones, and i am very happy with it.

Edit: as @jeepinmatt said, it has the flat screen, which allows an aftermarket case to protect the screen much better.

I have the Note 9 with the curved edge screen and I don't have any type of screen protector at all and I haven't had any issues. I haven't abused the phone, but it has been dropped/bumped/rubbed in the dirt etc. I don't get the appeal of the curved edge though, so it's not a make or break thing for my next one.

Duane

x3 (4?) for Motorola phones, my androidOne from google fi is 3 years old and still works, I just upgraded to the G-power because it is $150 and the battery is supposed to be a 5000mAh unit (good for 3 days).

My original phone is fine, but it can't be upgraded beyond android 9 and 11 is about to
drop with a couple of privacy features I would prefer to have.

If you want to jump to google fi, hit me up, we can both get a $20 discount

I also have the s10e. I got the upper model, which has the same amount of ram as the s10. Not as bulky as the larger phones, and i am very happy with it.
Same here. Patiently waited for a deal on the 256GB version because it had 8GB RAM instead of 4.

The Pixel 3a or a Motorola are both good options. I've got a OnePlus 5 that's been great for three years. OnePlus makes great unlocked Android phones that are in line with flagship Samsungs at affordable prices...

I'm on a note 9, I utilize the pen often for signing off on documents for work. Camera is great and battery life is awesome.

I got a Moto 7, i think. It shows it upgraded to Android 9. Had for 2 1/2 years, with no real problems. Thought 2 years was about it for the battery, but it's still going. Recently discovered the Battery Saver mode, & now no more than I use it, it runs for 2 - 3 days, before I charge it. Lower power doesn't seem to effect anything I use it for!

OnePlus 5 that's been great for three years. OnePlus makes great unlocked Android phones that are in line with flagship Samsungs at affordable prices.

OnePlus and Huawei spy on their users on behalf of the communist party.

OnePlus and Huawei spy on their users on behalf of the communist party.

"The Cloud" is an acronym for China Loves Our Uploaded Data.

Back