Need help finding 5x5.5" to 5x5" wheel adapters with large center bore

paulevans76

Found a good deal on a set of JK/JL steelies that might work out well on my cheapo Sami project. The price is definitely right, but I need to find a way to actually run them. I've found a few 5x5.5" to 5x5" adapters out there, but most are hub-centric with a ~87mm or smaller center bore. Not finding anything with the larger 108mm bore.

I could buy a set of the smaller bore models and have them machined, but I wonder if they don't exist because it wouldn't work/work safely. My rough math would say that a 108mm bore (~4.25") would leave about an 1/8" before you'd get into the lugs on the 5x5" pattern - is that just not enough to be safe? I'd have to do the same thing to the wheels as well.

I want to keep the rig cheap, but not at the expense of safety.

If you get some ill bore the centers out for you cheap, but it definitely sounds a bit sketchy on the clearances. You'll have 1/8" wall IF they are 1/2" studs WITH 1/2" shanks.

I appreciate that. I should probably get my hands on a set of the adapters and find out for sure.

At the end of the day it might just be smarter to find some Ram 1500 17" steelies, which should be 5 on 5.5, have those centers bored, although I'll still need spacers. I've yet to find an aftermarket 17" regular old steelie that's less than 8"wide. It's all OEM stuff only.

All this to run cheap 255/75/17 bfg mt JK takeoffs, which is looking less and less cheap as I go down the rabbit hole.

Jeep-cheap would probably build me two of these. It's a side piece, supposed to cost me less than my primary, so I gotta get creative. Luckily, I did remember that a family member can get tires at a hair over cost, so hopefully I can stop stalking these takeoffs all over the marketplace.

Anyway I wondered about the whole 5x5 with a larger centerbore because I had to figure someone with a JK at some point upgraded axles and didn't want to buy new wheels (the whole Jeep cheap thing) so I figured maybe an adapter existed.

I've got a set of them I used for mock up. 100$

4 5.5 to 5x5 adapters with the 87mm center bore

@1stgenxxx Do you mind measuring them to see if the 108mm would fit between the 5x5 pattern with any material left? You'd be contributing tech that would help 1's - possibly 10's of people!

I'm thinking that's gonna be a hard no
20200702_004304.jpg

How deep does the 108mm bore need to be? Its no issue if it cuts into the stud counterbores.

How deep does the 108mm bore need to be? Its no issue if it cuts into the stud counterbores.

good question. I didn't think about that

It looks like the first inch or more would need to be in order to clear the hub bolts. I'd have to pull the wheel to know for sure. And the lip and mounting face of the hub may be more like 106mm, which probably doesn't make a huge difference. The hub body after that is around 90-91mm (3-9/16" ish)

well just go ahead and buy these or trade me something cool

Don't think it's gonna work for me hoss, easier if I just use some wheels with the right bolt pattern to start with. But I appreciate your help figuring it out.

Back