need help tach hook up on toyota SR5

murphystoys

I bought a tach (sun pro super tach II) from a guy but no directions. Its got 4 wires a black, red, white, and green. If anyone could tell me where they go Id appreciate it.

Reciting this from memory, been a few years

Red, battery power (Use a fuse 7.5 amp is good)
Black, ground
White should be ignition trigger
Green illumination

hooking the trigger wire to the coil on the Toy could short the igniter, use the factory tach lead ( it has been done may times I am sure, but why risk it ? ) Tach was what $20? the igniter is over $100 or more if ya don't have a buddy with one somewhere

Kevin

Also, make sure the little selector switch is on the correct setting, i.e. 4cyl or 6cyl.

No it probably doesn't, or you obviously wouldn't be adding an after market tach, but the wiring is there.

learn a little about your vehicle, just like the rest of use did about ours before the intraweb made it easy.

there are manuals to be had all over the place, factory manuals. buy one, you'd be surprised the info you'd find if you tried to look.

Search PBB, search 4x4 wire, all the info is there on how to hook up a tach to the factory harness.

You make no mention of the year of your truck, so we have no idea what you are working with.

is your truck 84-88 w/efi ? I have a factory cluster w/tach I'll sell for $50, plugs right in, you change the oil pressure sending unit, it all works.

Kevin

re = fuel injection r = carb. I assume you can tell the difference?

P.S. Dont' wire the red into constant 12v+.. use a switched source.

There should be a single wire coming from the coil with a green connector that doesn't go to anything. Might have a rubber cap on the end of it. I just poked a hole in the cap and plugged mine in with a spade terminal on the end of it.

Blkvoodoo said:
Reciting this from memory, been a few years

Red, battery power (Use a fuse 7.5 amp is good)
Black, ground
White should be ignition trigger
Green illumination

hooking the trigger wire to the coil on the Toy could short the igniter, use the factory tach lead ( it has been done may times I am sure, but why risk it ? ) Tach was what $20? the igniter is over $100 or more if ya don't have a buddy with one somewhere

Kevin

White to Parking Lights, can use any illuminated item in interior, ie.. radio, or switch or something.

Green to tach input from coil, or neg side of coil. IIRC u can also find this at the check conn. on Toys

Red to ign input, 12v when ign is on, you can find this at the ign. switch should be some heavy gauge wires use either the blk with yell tracer or blk with red tracer

Black goes to ground (duh) he he/

Pickup a cheap digital multi meter and you can do anything electrical in the car.

jeepn-jason said:
White to Parking Lights, can use any illuminated item in interior, ie.. radio, or switch or something.

Green to tach input from coil, or neg side of coil. IIRC u can also find this at the check conn. on Toys

Red to ign input, 12v when ign is on, you can find this at the ign. switch should be some heavy gauge wires use either the blk with yell tracer or blk with red tracer

Black goes to ground (duh) he he/

Pickup a cheap digital multi meter and you can do anything electrical in the car.

Thanks for the correction, as stated, it's been awhile.

Kevin

Back