Need Help with an XJ Buildup

YJJPWrangler87

So, the buildup has started on my 92 XJ, we have a 4.5"lift to put on it, im gonna fab front/rear bumpers and rock rails...anybody else have any suggestions..this is gonna be more of a trail rig, but it will see the road only to get to the trail. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Zack

man one of the best mods you can do are some lockers or since its only going to see trail use maybe weld the rear.

You should build it the way you want it, and just go wheel it! You will figure out quickly what you need on it to wheel it the way you want to.
Don't let anyone tell you what to do.
you have a good start. some sort of locker or posi in the front or rear will help alot, but they are expensive.

i was thinking the same thing..i don't know yet..the vehicle is technically my girlfriends, and she wants it to be monster(which is great with me) we r cleaning out her garage tom and gonna tear it apart..needs a new head gasket...anyhting else i need to look for when i take it apart?

Zack

I assume it has the 4.0L. Since it's a '92, it has the H.O. version, a good thing! :driver:

Before anything, I suggest you go with skidplates. Engine/tranny, transfercase and gas tank should be on the top of your list.

yeah i definately want to armor this thing up a lot. Any one have ideas on the skid plates? I totally forgot about those, I have a pretty good idea about front/rear bumpers and a plan is forming in my mind for the rock rails. 2offroad could you post up a pic of your rock rails? Did you fab them yourself?

Zack

You planning on fabbing skids up yourself? If so, just look at manufacturer skids and decide how you want yours to look and function.

If you are going to tear it apart some, i would suggest taking a look at the main oil seal. These from what i hear are a pain to change and need it pretty badly at that age. most noticable by a small oil leak. just my .02 good luck!

RidgeRunner, im in the process of learning, I know the techniques just need the practice. Also, my girlfriends dad used to build custom dune buggies so he helps me out time to time. Hightime, yeah the main oil seal will also be replaced. Tonight we cleaned her garage out and drained the rad fluid. The Jeep isn't being driven for a loooong time. Found some mud in the filler neck of the rad. Ill be flushing and draining it for a while to get it all out.

Zack

YJJPWrangler87 said:
Found some mud in the filler neck of the rad. Ill be flushing and draining it for a while to get it all out.
Zack

Just go ahead and get you a new one. XJ's are super notorious for overheating anyway. I found a 3-row all metal (stock is 2-row with plastic tanks) on Radiator.com (aka 1-800-Radiator) for I think it was $140 shipped.

thats what i thought at first..but the temp gauge stuck right below 210 on the highway and right at 210 offroad...or is the gauge off? When the gauge said 210 I opened the hood, all the body parts were to hot to touch(bumpers and side panels) overheating?

Zack

Slip yoke eliminator. Though it is only 4.5", SYE will be great especially if you ever plan to go higher. Go with SYE instead of a t-case drop.

YJJPWrangler87 said:
thats what i thought at first..but the temp gauge stuck right below 210 on the highway and right at 210 offroad...or is the gauge off? When the gauge said 210 I opened the hood, all the body parts were to hot to touch(bumpers and side panels) overheating?

Zack

210 is not really over heating . but I would want it around 195. check you T-stat and flush you radaitor.

my 2 cents

After my first wheeling trip to Uwharrie last weekend, I now know how important skid plates and difguards are. I am now planning to lincoln lock the rear on mine and a limited slip up front. How big of tires are you planning to run. I got about 5" and 33's with TJ flares. I haven't flexed it up yet but I will soon. As for that radiator from radiator.com I have it and run right at 190 on a hot day. Today driven down the highway it was at like 170-175. I did the entire cooling system last year and it shows. Of course I have 210k miles now too. Tow hooks up front an something for the rear. I am assuming since you can weld you'll incororate that into the bumpers. Removeable doors too is nice. Not sure if I offered anything but good luck and enjoy it.

Doug

yeah im trying to sell the girlfriend on removable doors. :) I got almost all the stuff off the rad tonight, thot i was gonna be able to pull it but it got to late..quick question, right below the filler neck there is a metal fitting that connects to a rubber hose, theres another one below the lower rad hose. I am pretty sure that they have nothing to do with the A/C, but just in case i didn't want to unhook them...is it part of the internal tranny cooler? An external tranny cooler came with it but its pretty much destroyed(gonna replace it), do the hoses connect to the internal tranny cooler? Anyone ever removed them?

Zack

YJJPWrangler87 said:
yeah im trying to sell the girlfriend on removable doors. :) I got almost all the stuff off the rad tonight, thot i was gonna be able to pull it but it got to late..quick question, right below the filler neck there is a metal fitting that connects to a rubber hose, theres another one below the lower rad hose. I am pretty sure that they have nothing to do with the A/C, but just in case i didn't want to unhook them...is it part of the internal tranny cooler? An external tranny cooler came with it but its pretty much destroyed(gonna replace it), do the hoses connect to the internal tranny cooler? Anyone ever removed them?
Zack

The fitting just below the filler neck should be the hose that leads to the coolant expansion tank. Not sure about the one below the lower radiator hose. Might have to go take a look on mine (if it hasn't changed...mine's a '98). Could be the other hose to the expansion tank. Not sure...

Back