NEED HELP

77f-150

Hey i have 1977 f-150 with a 6inch lift the stearing is all over the road while driving and feel like the tires are jumping i do not know if it is because of the supperswamper tires that are doing it. Should i get new tires? or what do i do

30 year old vehicle.. you *might* have some worn out components...everywhere.

did you just install the lift? have it aligned/tires balanced(as much as swampers will balance)... check ball joints/tierod ends/wheel bearings for play... this list could go on, but will need some more info.

What Rich said.

1st, what's your pressure?

2nd, squat down and look at the front end components while somebody moves the steering wheel back and forth. You may be able to easily see where the slop is.

I've been chasing wander on my CJ5 for over 20 years. Different problems have caused wander over the years for me: wore out spring bushings, bad tre's, a wore-out steering box, cracked frame support that let the frame rail twist at the steering box, etc.

Has your truck ever been right with that setup (springs/swampers/etc). Gradually gotten worse over time? Suddenly went from good to bad? New to you and always been that way?

i have just purchaced it and everything up front is brand new are super swampers know for bad stering?

Check the caster. If it is off, you can buy C bushings with 2, 4, or 7 degrees of additional caster. When I finished building my truck, I ended up with 1.5-2 degrees of caster which was not enough. It was wandering around too. I bought the 4 degree bushings and now it drives like a normal vehicle.

you said it feels like the tires are jumping ????
check the trac bar bolt down where it bolts on the axle beside the radius arm c <> wedge. im almost sure that is your problem. when the bushing wears out it starts to woller out the hole and causes the front end to jump like crazy. its an easy fix. replace the bushings and maybe even the bolt. if its real bad , we usually weld the bolt on the back side install new bushings and ride on. thats not the correct way to fix it but it works.

figured it out yet ?????????? just curious.

Back