Need some 9" info

Zachs

I'm planning on the following to start out:

Front Spider9
D50 everything for steering and outters/inners (already have it with brakes and everything)
31 spline chromos
mini spool
Warn lockouts
gear selection (?????)

Rear 9"
409 or 609 maybe...still thinking about this...409 would be much cheaper as parts are abundant at the u-pull yards
Would like to go with 35 spline so I need need to worry about breakage as much
spool

I'd like to do one of those disk pinion e-brake things, but I'm not 100% on that one since I don't know my options (I do miss having an e-brake though).

Tire size would either 39.5 or 42, but that's not whats important.

Future plans:
Full PSC hydro
Upgrade the front to 35 spline if I keep breaking (don't think I will have to worry too much though)

What I don't know, and can't find through google due to so many drag racers flooding the web, is the max gear ratio with 9"'s. I've heard 5.1X but I'm not sure if I read right since every I've seen is in the high 4.XX. Any ideas?

Now i'm not 100%, but min wheel size to clear the calipers on an F250 D50 is hopefully 16.5 and not 17. Anyone have any ideas?

5.13 would probably work fine for 39.5s. I mean, I'm on 373s and 35's and am OK with road performance, but miserable with my awful crawl ratio (stock 231). I'll also be moving up to a flipped 300 as well...probably 4:1.

Now where in the hell can I buy those gears?

call up chase @ ECGS. he can get you gears. I think the big advantage to the 9", is the pinion doesnt really get smaller on the deeper ratios, like some other axles...

also, are you planning to do rear steer? with those tire sizes, i would stay away from 44 stuff.

On a side note:
I have a 609 that I would sell. Basically the same as the front you are talking about, but with 60 outers... would save you some time possibly. PM if interested.

Won't be doing rear steer as I'm gonna try and keep her from being a trailer queen at least until she is payed off! haha

I did look at your sale, but I've already got all the 60s parts I need for the front except for the hubs. I'm still researching heavily on this rear, so I'm not even 50% sure on what I need.

Thats great to hear about the gearing, cause if that's the case I might go deeper. I'll def support the local guys if he can get me what I need. Thanks for the contact.

well if you arent going rear steer, then i would just put 35spline stuff in a 9"... unless you want FF, and then you can get aftermarket stuff or use d60/d70/14b/10.25 outers...

I was wanting to go FF for strength obviously, but I had thought about just getting 35 spline chromos, spool, and an 8lug adapter/spacer to match the front and saying to hell with it and be done...gain/loss over just going FF though?

as far as the wheel size,don't know what year dana 50 you have,but i had a 96 model and 16.5 worked on it. thats the size that came factory. also if that 50 came from a heavy-duty model 250 it uses dana 60 bearings.just thought i'd through that in there in case you carry extra parts.

well the main advantage with FF is the vertical and horizontal forces on the shaft arent present, so mainly just deal with the torsional... also, if you break a shaft, you can drive if out... but you also have more weight on your rig too...

there are a number of guys who run SF 9"s with no problems... main issue, you will have $$$$$ in 5to8 lug adapters, and you can't get 8 lug 9" shafts... the easiest thing to do, is get the front drilled to 5 or 6 lug...

well the main advantage with FF is the vertical and horizontal forces on the shaft arent present, so mainly just deal with the torsional... also, if you break a shaft, you can drive if out... but you also have more weight on your rig too...

there are a number of guys who run SF 9"s with no problems... main issue, you will have $$$$$ in 5to8 lug adapters, and you can't get 8 lug 9" shafts... the easiest thing to do, is get the front drilled to 5 or 6 lug...

That's the same that my brother was telling me about (he use to own High Country 4x4 in Boone years ago). I forgot why I was convinced on the 409/609 setup. I don't feel like breaking a shaft when I'm climbing and having that axle walk out on me. It's bad enough I push my pansy ass D35 (still haven't broken a shaft and I've been running and wheeling 35's for wayyy over year)...almost getting comical haha

That is quite a shame about the lug pattern...I was hoping to cheap out with some H1's + 37s for a while, but it looks like I'll be buying some 17's instead :-/
back to the wheel drawing board hahaha

as far as the wheel size,don't know what year dana 50 you have,but i had a 96 model and 16.5 worked on it. thats the size that came factory. also if that 50 came from a heavy-duty model 250 it uses dana 60 bearings.just thought i'd through that in there in case you carry extra parts.

that D50 came off an 02 F250 I believe. Thanks for info man

It is...I'm still trying to figure out wtf I'm gonna do about that lol. I was gonna get the guy on pirate to recenter some h1s and throw a rock ring on it, but then again by the time these things can roll, I might actually know how to weld worth a damn. haha So far I can tac tac tac :D

Thankfully my brother can weld really well.

Back