Need some axle info...

Granny

One day at a time...
I am considering the idea of a set of wide-trac axles under my little CJ-5. The current front is a stock Dana 30 with LockRights. The current rear is an AMC20 with LockRights & Moser 1-piece axles. I know I can't swap the axles but the Lockrights should be interchangable if I stay with a Dana 30 & AMC20. I am thinking this should be a relatively easy swap, but..... What say ye? What years, etc. do I need to look for? All advice appreciated! :)

@RenegadeT did the swap on his 77CJ7 many years ago. I think he got a set of wide track axles from a 4cyl Jeep which came with 4.10 gears. I think 82 was the first year

Last edited:
Wide track will have front disc, so you'll be modifying or changing the master cylinder, & maybe the proportionor.
Might need to relocate the spring perches on the axles. Axle spline may be different, if that matters to the Locker. Make up proper drag link. Off top, all I can think of.

Already have front discs... no brake modifications required. No concerns on relocating spring perches, drag link, etc. Mainly concerned with getting some feedback as to best years to choose from... if that is even a factor. Somebody has all the answers... share 'em with me! :D

On the other side of the coin... I am also giving some serious thought about letting the Jeep go and finding myself a small pickup like a Tacoma or Frontier. I am at the age where I don't enjoy driving the Jeep like I did when I was younger. Darlene never has mastered a straight drive so a pickup with an automatic trans would be a great benefit. I also enjoy AC, a quiet comfortable ride with no drafts, etc. Nothing definite yet. I am told a local doctor has a great interest in it... we will just sit tight and see what comes of that. No great rush to do anything. Appreciate the replies! :)

I am considering the idea of a set of wide-trac axles under my little CJ-5. The current front is a stock Dana 30 with LockRights. The current rear is an AMC20 with LockRights & Moser 1-piece axles. I know I can't swap the axles but the Lockrights should be interchangable if I stay with a Dana 30 & AMC20. I am thinking this should be a relatively easy swap, but..... What say ye? What years, etc. do I need to look for? All advice appreciated! :)

What year is your '5? Current gear ratio? Tire size?

You'll gain 3" of width with the wide tracks. For the front, you'll need to either cut the lower shock mount off the tube and re-use your u bolt plate mount, or swap to a taller upper shock mount. All wide tracks came with the 5 bolt lockout hubs. If you have the older 6 bolt lockouts (OEM for 80 and older), then I would swap them over. Also, if you have the 11" rear drums, you can swap all that over too (WT rears were all 10" drums). If you want hallway decent gearing without re-gearing, then look for a set from a 4 cyl. They will have either 3.54 or 4.10 gears (if still stock). Or you can swap your gears from your NT axles. WT axles started in 82 and are only under the CJ7 & 8's (CJ5s stayed NT).

@jp360cj nailed it, that is what I did.
Started with my '77 CJ-7 narrowtrack AMC20 & D30, 11" (finned) drums in the rear, thick discs up front with the 6bolt premium lockouts. My widetrack axle donor was an 82 or 84 CJ-7 4-banger, AMC20 & D30 with 4.10 gears. I swapped the '77 rear drums and front knuckles/spindles/discs over to the widetrack axles.

Back