Need tires. Not a second mortgage

Yeah, I'd stop listening to him...:laughing:

Also, there's these:

Bridgestone putting out bad tires??? I've never put them on tow rig...but I've had great results from the Turanza line on cars and suv's.

Bridgestone putting out bad tires??? I've never put them on tow rig...but I've had great results from the Turanza line on cars and suv's.
Eh, putting "ultra highway" tires on a truck is just lame.

So, put a set of the nitto’s on the wife’s truck. If you didn’t know toyo and nitto are the same company. I bought hers through Amazon cause honestly it was the cheapest. They balanced up very clean and the wear so far has been great. They are heavier being a F rated tire so the MPG went down just a hair but, I would absolutely recommend them. Super smooth and great all weather traction.

275/65/R20 Looks like the AT3 XLT's are discontinued
Mechanic I know recommends the Bridgestone Revo 3 or ( Alenza ultra highway tire :shaking::shaking:)

Yep, looks like they quit making that size in the XLT. They do have your size in the Rugged Trek though. They're 371 on Amazon.

I searched by size on www.simpletire.com and saw some viable options. The Kuhmo Road Venture AT51s are 260 something and others range up to 450 a tire. You may be able to get them cheaper elsewhere, but it gives you a visual of what tires they make in the size you need, at least. They must still have some XLTs in stock or something because they also listed those as an option.

Last edited:
Good question! Either can be had in Load Range F, if that's something that matters to you.

There's also 325/60-20 as another size option vs 35x12.50-20. :D

More options are gooder, right?!

Last edited:
I'll probably not go to an F no need for what I haul, 1 or 2 scissor lifts or a Jeep on an 18' trailer, and the other times a 25' camper so I'm rarely over 8,000lbs. I do like the look of the Nitto Ridge Grappler, I'm looking for an aggressive AT that is still good on the road, as 90% of my miles are around charlotte with no trailer. Not really looking to go larger it is at stock ride height but wider .....maybe....I am old and more practical now than my younger self.

I always have run Mickey Thompson's on my CJ and loved them but wondered how they would perform on a 2500.

Oddly enough,

Mickey Thompson, Dick Cepek, ProComp, MasterCraft, Starfire, Dean, Avon, and RoadMaster tires are all made by....

You guessed it! Cooper Tires :D

Ultimately they're all owned by Goodyear, but they've kept them separated and still make a nice product.

That being said, my buddy has a set of the Mickey T Baja ATZ P3 (that's a mouthful) on his 01 ex cab Dodge 2500 (diesel) and they've held up well, aside from some one legged burnouts. Basically the Mickey Thompson version of the Cooper ST Maxx. They even have the same basic shoulder lugs, although I think they're a *little* softer rubber compound.

Oddly enough,

Mickey Thompson, Dick Cepek, ProComp, MasterCraft, Starfire, Dean, Avon, and RoadMaster tires are all made by....

You guessed it! Cooper Tires :D

Ultimately they're all owned by Goodyear, but they've kept them separated and still make a nice product.

That being said, my buddy has a set of the Mickey T Baja ATZ P3 (that's a mouthful) on his 01 ex cab Dodge 2500 (diesel) and they've held up well, aside from some one legged burnouts. Basically the Mickey Thompson version of the Cooper ST Maxx. They even have the same basic shoulder lugs, although I think they're a *little* softer rubber compound.
That's what I'm running on my CJ ATZ P3, had the first version back in the 90s hooked up great, I need to look into those for sure. Would like to get 40K plus out of the set I buy.

Last edited:
The ATZ P3 appears to have been replaced by the Baja Boss AT. However, they do make your size and they have a 50,000 mile tread wear rating.

I also look at and compare sizes a lot. Sometimes there's a drastic price difference from (for an example) a 285/70-17 to a 285/75-17. No difference in width and barely any in height, especially once they're mounted.

Good luck!

@No fries I run Ridge Grapplers on my 2500, and like you it spends more time as a commuter/dd than tow rig. I have around 30k miles on them now and they're a little under half tread. They're street enough that they run 80+mph, off road enough that I haven't been stuck in the landfill or a soft yard (yet), and truck enough they handle when the dump trailer gets more full then it should be lol.

20220716_133201.jpg

Duane

I got stucked once, but to be fair, I don't think any tire on this truck would have gotten me out. It was definitely my fault :lol:

20200328_135950.jpg

20200328_135939.jpg

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the tires mentioned so far. Be prepared for the new tire rock chucking though!

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the tires mentioned so far. Be prepared for the new tire rock chucking though!
I didn't see any tread warranty on the nittos and MT tread depth is 18.5 with a 50k warranty. Heavier than most but shouldn't affect milage too much I hope.

^^^^another reason not to go with a 12.50 tire for paint chipping tires.

I'm with you there. I like my stuff inside the fenders.

I don't think you'll notice much difference in mileage with a ¾ ton truck anyway!

Be prepared for the new tire rock chucking though!
OFT! I put a new set of Toyo Open Country AT3's on the wife's truck last year and they picked up every rock in the road! I had to pick some out several times because they would make noises that cought me off guard. Hell, they're over a year old and still have rocks in them from time to time.

Pulled the trigger in Baja Bosses this morning. Should be here in a week.

Back