Need to lock my HELLAS

Seen a felow once who took some tube and tact welded it around the light bolt, and then capped it. Only way to take it off was to grinf the welds.

Im not sure of the thread on your lights, but you may be able to use wheel locks on them. You can get them at any auto parts store.

use a small lock and drill a hole in the bolt and install a lock (smallest you can find), or, if you don't really plan on removing them very often or soon, just run some weld over the threads and nut and tack the nut to the bolt.

Dang - those tuffy locks cost more than my lights !!

My luck someone would steal the locks and leave the lights.

:mad:

Couple cheap fixes if you don't have access to a welder.

· Cut a slot in the tip of the bolt and spread it after you tighten it down.

· Take a file or chisel to the threads and bung them up.

· Green locktite.

· All of the above

:D

What about a slightly different approach - find a relly inconvenient way to afix them to the bumper, such that you have to have the bumper removed in order to install/take them off?
Or, bolt from the top down, so the nut is under the bumper, but now obscured by some otehr bracket - or add/place another said bracket in the way so that it is in itself a royal PITA to remove.
I'd think the point is not necessarily to make it *impossible* to remove, just inconvenient enough that somebody checking out your rig realizes it will take several hours and it's not worth the time/risk, so they just keep on walkin'.

I think Rob Had a good idea bout drilling a hole at the bottom of the bolt and putting a small lock through it. That would be almost free and would seam to do a good job. I dont think anyone could get boltcutters in there to get it either. Try it. all it would cost is a lock. thanks JOHN

WHTTRASH said:
what do you mean by "bung them up"?:confused:

Score, abrade, damage, or otherwise make unusable.

I would have said "Bugger" them up, but I knew you were lurkin' around here somewhere and didn't want to get you all excited.

;)

wbcarver said:
Score, abrade, damage, or otherwise make unusable.

I would have said "Bugger" them up, but I knew you were lurkin' around here somewhere and didn't want to get you all excited.

;)

got you.........i thought it was sort of tech term you builders use:D

Travs97 said:
they are proud of those things. thanks everyone

Apparently, so are you of your lights... :flipoff2:

I like my $10 tractor supply ones..

the green lock tight is a nooo

you want to be able to remove them later don't you???

then don't use the HD lock tight, its a pita when trying to remove bolts...

rockcity said:
the green lock tight is a nooo

you want to be able to remove them later don't you???

then don't use the HD lock tight, its a pita when trying to remove bolts...

And putting a spot weld on the bolt or "buggering" up the threads ain't gonna be a pita when trying to remove...

I thought the whole point of this thread was to make them a pita to remove...

All of the green Loctites are retaining compounds, made for "slick-on-slick"/"flat-on-flat" contact. If you're trying to thread lock, then RED is best. 262 or 271 threadlocker will work better than any green for threads.

Travs97 said:
well yes if they brake then i need to be able to take them off. so for 200+ lights then a 42$ for a lock is worth it.

If you weld/tack the nut and bolt you can still remove the light, via 2 breaker bars or a grinder.

Dear John and Bill,
A "bung" is also known as an anus.
A "bugger" is a submersible lure used for flyfishing.
The proper term for defacing the metal surface of a threaded rod or bolt is "git n ner n mash up em threads"....

That is all..

Back