New controversy down my way....

Those of you that know me know I’m a transplant. And no matter how many years I live here (16 years so far and God willing it will be many, many more) the fact that I was not born and raised here will never change. That said, does the confederate flag offend me? No, not by a long shot. It is part of our American history and I have nothing but respect for those that fought, suffered and died on both sides. I have an interest in American history, drilled into me at an early age by a mother who was a history teacher and a father that loved to read about American history. When my parents, who always lived up north, came to visit they would search out noted historical sites in the area to see, understand and learn. They would research the area before visiting and come with a list of historical sites that they had to visit. To me, a transplant, the confederate flag, all of the monuments, statues, historical markers are part of history and must be preserved. I choose to live here. I’m proud to live here. I love the history of this area. For those that are offended I say do some research. Don’t rely on what you see on Facebook or slanted media. Do actual research and understand our American history. But I guess that’s too difficult and it’s easier to jump on the bandwagon.

Well said. An informed opinion should always carry more weight than an emotional opinion, but sadly the emotional opinions are generally voiced the loudest.

Back