New hauler for the toys

Nice, I need to borrow it.

did you finally get kicked out, she must have heard that mess you said on the phone lol

It's just bare right now, we bought rugs to put down once truck is unloaded and are building TV cabinet for Harlan trip then bunks for the kids when we get back.

nice..

That would be one heck of an upgrade over tent camping and wet seats in the rig.. :bounce2:

Just got back from 4 nights at the campground in Evarts and the trailer and the Tundra did great. Lost a little fuel economy but saved over $300.00 by not staying in a cabin. And it is nice to be able to put the truck in the trailer and not worry about rain or wind. Will start on the bunks this weekend. And if there were any worries about the Tundra, they are gone now, it pulled the big wind sail loaded at around 11k great.

And if there were any worries about the Tundra, they are gone now, it pulled the big wind sail loaded at around 11k great.

Tell me about the Tundra... "entertaining" thoughts of one for DD (25 miles/day round trip) & occasional towrig. UJO has one, but is a slacker and won't give me his towing MPG :rolleyes:

While I'm sure it isn't stellar, my bros 2500HD 8.1L is barely scratching 8MPG towing my 6500-7000# load and not much better empty. Thinking the 5.7L Tundra might be the ticket?

Good, bad, & ugly please :lol:

Caver Dave, I have owned or driven every 1/2 and 3/4 ton truck made over the last 6 years and my Tundra is by far my favorite truck. My commute is 45 miles each way and I average 15-16 mpg, which is normal for most trucks. On the highway I avg. close to 18 mpgs. The towing mileage isn't great, with my open trailer loaded at about 10,500 lbs. I avg. around 8 mpg to Harlan and back from Clayton NC. With the enclosed trailer at around 11,000 lbs. it dropped to around 6.5 mpg. Now that's through the mountains at 70-75 mph. I have gotten 10-11 mpg when towing on mostly flat grades. Overall the Tundra makes a great dual purpose rig because it is fun and comfortable to drive everyday, and has plenty of power to tow just about anything you could want. Don't be scared at all to get one. vehicles owned 99chevy 1500, 2004 nissan titan, 2006 dorge ram hemi. vehicles used at work, 2006 duramax, 2008 duramax, 2006 ford f150, 2006 gmc 1500. The diesels will get better towing mpgs, but to me they aren't as fun or comfortable to drive everyday. Hope this helps

The diesels will get better towing mpgs, but to me they aren't as fun or comfortable to drive everyday. Hope this helps

You might want to actually driving a "tuned" one before making that statement... 400+HP and 750+LB-FT while still getting 20MPG on the highway and 11-12MPG towing 10Klbs. is pretty fun to drive. I have an F350 King Ranch that rides good, but an IFS 2500 Chevrolet will give you a great ride. :huggy:

Ok, I have to say this.

Make sure the truck doesn't move by itself. I think I have heard something about that on the news...

LOL!

I did say to me right? I'm sure 750 ft lbs. would be fun to drive, just not sure how comfortable it would be for a daily driver occasional tow rig. Guys lets not make this a gas vs diesel pissing contest, the guy asked for my opinion on the tundra, and since I've driven and owned others I used them for comparison. If I was using a rig for work and towing everyday I would go diesel, but for what I do and what Caver Dave is looking for the gasser makes sense.

Benjie, don't you have a clutch to fix lol.

Thanks for the info Jody!

At most, I'm looking at 7k# towed, so I'm nowhere near your 10.5k-11k# mark...

Any angst about the automatic tranny or small(er than most 1/2tons) rear end giving up the ghost to the tune of HUGE repair $$$ towing that kind of load? While I haven't heard anything negative, I haven't done any serious looking for the gripes either...

Caver Dave, I have not seen or do I predict any issues with the drivetrain. i have spoken with the enginners from TRD about drive train issues from the installation of the supercharger and they assured me the drive train was built to handle the power from the supercharger. They use a 10.5" ring gear in the rear end. They are plenty beefy.

While I'm sure it isn't stellar, my bros 2500HD 8.1L is barely scratching 8MPG towing my 6500-7000# load and not much better empty. Thinking the 5.7L Tundra might be the ticket?

Throw a tune on the 8.1. I gained over 1MPG towing as well as a good amount of power.

Back