New Stair Treads

Cherokeekid88

So, our stairs are squeaky as hell. good thing is, no one would be able to sneak up our stairs without us knowing about it. Bad news is, I literally hate going up and down the stairs because of it. So for anyone that knows, Is it as simple as replacing the treads?
If so, what's a ballpark figure for someone coming out and re treading 13 steps. No railing to worry about attached to the treads, just simple cut and lay ( I'm sure, its more technical than that)

What are they now? Hardwood? Pine? Carpeted? Can you get to the underside?

If they're closed hardwood pop em up, re nail and add adhesive. Free 99

Just had a thought... How old are you? Sure it's not your knees creaking?? :flipoff2:

If they're closed hardwood pop em up, re nail and add adhesive. Free 99
Even if hardwood depending on how the flight was built there may be a substrate that wasn’t fastened appropriately to the stringers. Everything should be screwed and glued to prevent long term squeaks.

Here are a couple of quick pics. Don’t know if this will help determining anything or not

Attachments

• 50EDEB07-EEC9-424B-9EC0-7D202542135D.jpeg
    50EDEB07-EEC9-424B-9EC0-7D202542135D.jpeg
    69.1 KB · Views: 130
  • 9DEDC846-30C8-4418-8486-65E3134BE5B7.jpeg
    9DEDC846-30C8-4418-8486-65E3134BE5B7.jpeg
    68.7 KB · Views: 129
What sort of house is this? The side stringer suggests those are prefab stairs, builder-grade stuff.

Id bet money you loosened them whenn hou pulled the carpet.
But back with them being painted they are cheap enough to knock em up and replace.

@skyhighZJ how would you screw treads down?

Handrail spindles attached to the treads? If not, I'd think about pulling the treads up, put down some PL adhesive, and then screw back down. Plug the screw holes and repaint. (But...that skirt board might be cut to fit over/around the treads (that's they way they did my mom's house in 1956), and might cover some nails, making it more time consuming and invasive.)

If there are spindles attached, then you got a lot more work pulling the rail. I'd probably drill and countersink some screws (NOT drywall screws) and plug/paint. Knock it out in a couple of hours...if it doesn't get rid of all the squeaks, you don't have much time or money invested. If some steps are louder than others, start there to see if it's worthwhile. Get your heaviest buddy (DO NOT ASK YOUR WIFE, that won't go over well) to stand on the tread you are screwing down.

Last edited:
Id bet money you loosened them whenn hou pulled the carpet.
But back with them being painted they are cheap enough to knock em up and replace.

@skyhighZJ how would you screw treads down?
If they were 2x treads designed to have carpet over them with the stringers under especially if their was a center stringer it’s not hard to screw and glue the treads to the stringers. But, if he is leaving them exposed (painted) it wouldn’t be very appealing. It doesn’t take much to cause a squeak between lumber like that though. IMHO I wouldn’t want open painted stairs as the slip hazard is too high but to each their own.

Last edited:
Handrail spindles attached to the treads? If not, I'd think about pulling the treads up, put down some PL adhesive, and then screw back down. Plug the screw holes and repaint. (But...that skirt board might be cut to fit over/around the treads (that's they way they did my mom's house in 1956), and might cover some nails, making it more time consuming and invasive.)

If there are spindles attached, then you got a lot more work pulling the rail. I'd probably drill and countersink some screws (NOT drywall screws) and plug/paint. Knock it out in a couple of hours...if it doesn't get rid of all the squeaks, you don't have much time or money invested. If some steps are louder than others, start there to see if it's worthwhile. Get your heaviest buddy (DO NOT ASK YOUR WIFE, that won't go over well) to stand on the tread you are screwing down.
Spindles are not connected to the treads.

I'd take my stimulus check and install an elevator
What the task is a stimulus check?
Apparently my white privilege prevents such things

Back