New to me buggy, but 2wd...

Tacoma747

Traded a suburban I bought for a Cherokee (chromerunner's), then traded the Cherokee for A Joyner 650. Needless to say I came out pretty good on the deal (I think). This thing is alot of fun, I can't wait to get it down to Uwharrie and hit some water bars. I've had it up to about 55MPH so far. Anyone know if I could title this as a dune buggy and drive it on the street? It is wired for all the lights a car would have, some are just busted off. I know I couldn't drive it on the interstate since top speed is claimed to be 65MPH, but for backroads and such it would be fun and probably great on gas. Also, it has a VIN plate already on it...

2008_0623Image0010.jpg

does it have an offroad only title....if so you wont be able to in NC. i have wanted to title dirt bikes and make them into a dual sports but there VIN is an offroad only vehicle so it cant be made street legal regardless of lights and safety equipment. it sucks cause that just makes actual dual sports cost that much more. at least NC is pretty lax on vehicles safety stuff so i can still drive my taco on the road.

Man that looks fun!!

Did a little searching online. Looks like they are "registerable" with the DMV, but it's still off-road only. Why would you need to register an off-road only vehicle such as this or a dirtbike/atv? Oh well, there goes the idea of having a cool gas saver unless anyone knows a way around it.

Nice buggy. You would need to title it as a kit vehicle.
According to the Division of Motor Vehicles in North Carolina, a custom-built vehicle is one that is "completely reconstructed or assembled from new or used parts." Glider kits and custom-assembled vehicles also fall under the category of "custom built." Such a vehicle must be registered.

You should list the make as "custom built" and the year the vehicle was built should be listed under "year." When you register a custom-built vehicle, the title is branded "reconstructed."

Registering and titling a custom-built vehicle is not much different from titling any other motor vehicle. Registration and titling requires a visit to a vehicle and license plate renewal office and the following:

An application for title, completed and signed in front of a notary.
An affidavit for custom-built vehicle, Form MVR-55, which is a notarized statement that describes the vehicle's assembly from new and used parts.
An inspector's report, as this special type of vehicle must be inspected for safety and drivability.
An odometer reading.
A certificate of title or Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin for the frame, engine, and transmission (or an indemnity bond can be filed).
A title fee of $40.
A Highway Use Tax of 3% of the value. The car's value is determined by the total of bills of sale for the entire purchase of new and used parts and labor.

I've got a Viper 250 that I'm working on titling as a custom built rig. In AZ and NV buggies like mine are sold as street legal.
aSac07-260(new-model)700x550.jpg

ai178.photobucket.com_albums_w250_simsim442_GoKartdisc087.jpg

So when you say custom built, this was not "custom" it is made by a company (Joyner), will I have to pull the VIN tag off it and say it was "custom" built locally? I've got alot to do to it before then anyways, new front turn signals, rear brakelights, maybe a windshield (mainly for street use), might even put an aluminum roof panel on it. I plan to get new lights for the top ones, and mount them upside down so they don't stick up and get hit (or crushed in a roll)

So when you say custom built, this was not "custom" it is made by a company (Joyner), will I have to pull the VIN tag off it and say it was "custom" built locally? I've got alot to do to it before then anyways, new front turn signals, rear brakelights, maybe a windshield (mainly for street use), might even put an aluminum roof panel on it. I plan to get new lights for the top ones, and mount them upside down so they don't stick up and get hit (or crushed in a roll)

I plan on taking the factory vin tag off mine and "customizing" it a bit by adding to the roll cage, roof, side panels, windshield etc.
Heck, most of the "kit cars" that you see on the street were factory assembled, sans motor and tranny.
fyi, the factory vin on yours probably translates to off road use only (it's the first three digits), so you probably want to take it off before you bring it to the License and theft dept for inspection.
eta: I'll get an indemnity title for mine ($150 or so) since it has no MCO or title. Your situation may be different. Did you get any paper work with it?

I don'tae a title or any paperwork other than a bill of sale (trade). That a good or bad thing?

Bill of sale is good if it's notarized, but it's got to have the VIN # on it. It provides proof of purchase/ownership. If you remove your vin tag then the BOS is worthless, I imagine.

cool looking buggy, there was two of these sitting outside a radiator shop here in Concord........looks like it would be a lot of fun to toy around in :driver:

Back