New to the forum

jinx

Hi everyone! My bf and I are planning on moving to the US from Canada in the next year or two. We are both heavy into wheeling, I have a Jeep and he has a custom truggy that he finished building last year (you may have seen it in the top finalists for this year's Four Wheeler Top Truck Challenge, unfortunately he did not make top 10 for 2005.... :( ).

Anyhow, we can't really decide on where to move. Of course the wheeling would be very important to both of us and I know it's been a dream for him to wheel Tellico, but we are torn between North and South Carolina. We are also planning a trip for a couple weeks to visit each state to have a look around & get a feel for the area before committing. We would be flying, so unfortunately we wouldn't be able to take our own trucks offroad, but I'd love to visit the parks and see some of the trails anyhow.

I would really appreciate any advice you could give me. Where are the best trails? Are there many trails for trucks, or are they mostly for quads and bikes? What cities are the best to live in? Is there any skiing/snowboarding in the winter time?

Thank you so much for the help. Nice to meet you all!!

The best wheeling in my opinion is in wester NC and eastern TN. Tellico is just one of them. You have Robinsville that is close to Tellico, Two trails in Mnt City TN, Chatanogah(sp) amoung others. Not much in the way of wheeling in the eastern part of the state(NC) other than UNF and it's kinda on the mild side. I guess a lot would depend on what type work you do as to the area you will find most suitable to you. Unless you are independantly wealthy, then I would say buy a cabin on trail one at Tellico and live the good life! Best wishes

Ask for skiing/snowboarding Boone, NC would be the place to go. The place Hawks Nest that has a golf course in the summer is going to trash the golf course and turn the course into a slope. They will now have the biggest slope on the east coast. Boone is a mountain/college town and is close to a lot of trails.

upnover said it... western NC and eastern TN are where most of the trails are. Asheville is beautiful...

Thanks for all the tips guys! It will be exciting to wheel someplace different. Right now our trails are under the threat of closure because of the environmentalists. :( We could only have a couple months left before they are all shut down on us...

As for work... I am in the process of applying to the city police here, but I don't believe I can work as an officer there unless I was a US citizen so I'd be SOL in that career path. Right now I am working in Geology, but again... not too sure about the oil & gas industry in the Carolinas. I do, however, have some experience in computer graphics and web design so hopefully there's something I would be able to work as until I was able to get a citizenship.

Jason: Thanks for the snowboarding information. I would definately miss out on that hobby of mine!

Thanks again! :D

somewhere in the Gastonia, Shelby, Lincolnton, Hickory area of NC...

puts you 2-4 hours from all the wheeling in Western NC/Eastern TN...and 3-4 hours from the coast...

Greg

If you're really GOOD with computers you might want to think about the Triangle (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill). There are tons of places that can use that kind of skills, and it would would put you just about in the center of the state, equal distance from the shore AND the mountains.

NOT by the way, my boss can help you find a place... America's Best Realty

Back