New tow pig. Well to join the ranks I guess

Jeremyfc1

well as I have been doing more day trips and less camping (33' class A) I found an 86 f350 4x4 4 spd diesel. It is a reman 7.3 idi non turbo single wheel rear reg cab should haul my buggy and or 4Runner. Best part it came with an ez dump body in the back. Insert singing and dancing.

Truck needed a starter he was push starting it. I can only imagine that fun especially considering the glow plug solenoid isn't hooked up.
Alt belt was broken
Fuel leaking from filter
And it has death wobble around 40 mph

Looking under it
Hp dana60 front
Sterling 10.5 rear

Check the king pins, wheel bearings, and track bar bushings. That should be pretty much all of the possible death wobble causes. If the bottom bearing in the KPs is good, but the knuckle gets loose when you jack up the tires, add a shim under the spring on the cap up top. A washer that's about 1/8" thick should do the trick.

Here's a few pics. Zero rust. Some dents from I'm guessing a skid steer loading the dump box

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    196.4 KB · Views: 280
My '92 7.3L NA & 5spd. was great... for MPGs and general use.
However, once there was a load (6k-8k #s) and there was any grade at all... it brought the suck quickly without a turbo.
As my Dad is fond of saying "Not enough power to drag a greasy string out of a cats ass"
Once pulling the hill on 421 into Boone with @lowmodyj, the SHP pulled along side (assume he was checking weighted tag?) as I was doing a whooping 20mph, laughed at me and sped off :flipoff2:

A couple of buds found an OE ATS setup and another found an old Banks Sidewinder that really brought their IDI's to life...

A couple of buds found an OE ATS setup and another found an old Banks Sidewinder that really brought their IDI's to life...
it

Be careful adding a turbo to a NA idi if you pull heavy. The engine really isn't designed to handle the extra stress of increasing the cylinder pressure. We did it on one of my Grandpa's work trucks a long time ago it would haul a load and move fast doing it but hauling 25k lbs and the stress with the turbo put it in the shop getting a new engine 2 weeks later.
It was the banks setup he used.

20 years ago, I helped put a banks system on a N/A F250 of my uncles. It worked great, and is still going strong today. But he rarely tows heavy. His complaint with n/a was lack of power going up hills and at high elevations out west.

I've had idi trucks in the past. Be turbo they are slow but get the job done. With turbo they just get the job done. Last one was an f450 idi banks turbo reg cab sleeper with 11' flatbed. Should have kept that truck

Back