News from the birfield front.. Longfield vs. Newfield

Rich

Asshole at large
I was informed by a Cruiserhead, and verified it with both Bobby Long and CV Unlimited. George from CVU brought some of their "Newfield" CV joints in minitruck flavor out to California, and put them on Bobby's axle twist machine.

Bobby, with his 4340 birfs and George, with the Newfields, attached them to a reference set of PolyPerformance 300M inner axles, and started twisting.

Both of them broke the inner shaft. If I recall correctly, the test was performed at 35* turning angle.

This should really end the reputation that "Newfields suck". It was a reputation that was earned in the early 2000's with the early revisions, but they have been under a constant state of evolution.

Am I biased one way or the other? Nope. I run the best product I can for the price. The Newfields have a lifetime warranty, and were on my rig when I bought it. Once I stopped breaking them (as they evolved), I kept running them.

Likewise, I have nothing but good things to say about Bobby Long and his products. He has done an incredible service to the Toyota community with his products, and I love his beadlock kit.

But, the reason for this post is - CV Unlimited is based in South Carolina.. and I freely admit to being biased towards local companies.

On a personal note, I have been using my Newfields in my previously portly FJ40 with 38.5" SX's on Bobby Long beadlock wheels, (NOT a light combo) and have not broken a single one since '03, but have been on the same obstacles with rigs that have broken other makes (not to include the 4340 Long's).

However you look at it, life is good for the solid axle Toyota owner!!

So inform me if you would.
I still have the stock birfs on my '84 and have had no problems thus far, although I've always been gentle on them as I have heard the horror stories of them breaking easily.

Now do these Newfields replace the stock birfs? Just for future reference of course.

Thanks

Yes, they do replace the stock ones.

CV Unlimited are a good bunch of guys to deal with. We carry their stuff and have had no problems as of yet.

Andy

Yes, the Newfields and Bobby Longs Longfields both replace the stock birfield. I personaly am running Bobbys and have not had a problem yet with the old style ring'ed Lonfield on 38" TSL's. If you want the best then Bobby's 30 spline kit is definatly pimp.

Sam

If the newfields are working, thats great...

I know some of the earlier Longs that we were running sucked completely.... The 2nd generations with out the rings welded on were failing faster than stock birfs... Im running his earliest Ringed Longs now with no problems...

So yes, both companys have been making bigger and better, with a few snags along the way... I like Bobby's junk because he's taken care of us (me and a few other guys tha have been breaking the Longs) rather well...

But I might get a set of Newfields when these finally let go, because im sure that after a few popped shafts per side, any of the birfs will be trashed...

Hugh, You and Josh are exceptions....Yall would trash just about anything. :D

Sam

Lest we forget, the Stuckys (David, George & Franklin) are LONG time members of the Carolina Trailblazers and big supporters of recreational 4 wheeling. Another reason to Support CV Unlimited.
Just a note to those of you who are not affiliated with any club that doesen't support Southern 4WD Assoc. It's our money and volunteering that helps keep trails open.

birfields

I will have to chime in on this one also. I initially ran Marfields( built by CV Unlimited) Neither joint failed, but one did start to click in a max turn at higher wheel speed after about 2000 hard trail miles. I repleaced that one with a profield, broke it 30 minutes off the trailer. I then replaced it with a Longfield(no outer ring) and broke it on the third trip out. I now run a set of Newfields(one year). I now carry one of the Marfields as a spare, plan to sell the other Marfield along with the new mate to the broken Longfield.
I am happy with the Newfields and feel they will wear out before they break, as the Marfields did.

Back