Nitrogen Shock fill up

snipes243

I would like to get a setup to fill my shock with nitrogen. Tired of running all over town to find someone when I need to take them on and off. So what is everyone using an off the self kit or a DIY set from the welding shop?

I’m not there yet, but this is the kit I’m looking to get...

Uniweld 400PSI Regulator Kit and Whip | Schmidty Racing

They have other kits to pick from and even build your own, but I’m pretty set on having the no loss tip, the 90 degree shutoff valve, and the bleed down setup.

I put together a kit similar to above, years ago.

Basically, a nitro bottle from welding supply; nitro regulator; 25ft length of hydraulic hose, believe it is 3/8"; shutoff valve (optional), and female air quick connect. Then I built a short lead that connects to the shock: No loss chuck; 5 ft section of hose; 300psi filled gauge; shutoff valve; male quick connect.

To use it, I close the valve on the lead and install the chuck. The gauge on the lead will tell you the charge that is in the shock. If you need to bleed it off, you can open the valve. To charge it, i connect together the 2 cables. Set the tank regulator to the pressure you want in the shock, and open the valves when you are ready to fill.

I chose to use hydraulic hose to hold up longer to the higher pressures. If I needed to extend the above setup, i can add an air hose in the middle, if the pressures are low. With it being 2 pieces I can also easily fill tires or run tools off it, if needed.

You could add a 2nd lead if you are filling ORIs, but 1 has worked fine for everything we have needed to do.

N2 bottle and regulator from welding supply store.

Mix of 1/4” flare refrigeration hoses/fittings/ and valves.

I usually just use a brass tire chuck to charge shocks and bumps. 10x faster than the no loss chuck. I have a no loss chuck, it’s in my shock tools/valving bag, but I honestly haven’t touched it in at least 2 yrs.

If I need to bleed them, practically anything works. As long as you do it pretty slow, no oil loss.

I’m the gauge on the regulator is like 0-1000, and I have another 0-400 gauge that I can add inline on the 1/4 flare hoses that is more accurate for the typical 150-250 range than the 0-1000 regulator gauge. I still use the regulator to set the pressure.

Same as @Mac5005. I have a 0-400psi gauge on the regulator and a tire chuck. Does the trick just fine, quickly and cheaply.

I use a standard N2 bottle and reg hooked up to my old refrigeration gauges with a no-loss fitting. Works great and really precise.

Back