No Reverse on my 98 ZJ 44re

xjdrew

My 98 ZJ (5.2) has been running fine, but totally of the blue, I lost reverse. All the gears shift smoothly and it still runs great. The weird thing is, when I put it in reverse, it feels as if I'm holding the brake and hitting the gas... but, I'm not. And, when I put it in park, it feels like the same thing is happening. Also, when it's in park I'll try to rev it, but it feels like it's in gear. When I have it in neutral, it'll drive but only through 1st gear, but when it's in drive and it shifts and runs great. I've already checked the linkage and all thats fine. Trans fluid doesn't smell burnt and no codes popping. Any ideas?

I went out this morning to check it out and it did pop some codes. One of them was for the overdrive solenoid and the other was the trans voltage, I did not write the exact code # down but will get them later. A buddy of mine suggested it could be that the forward clutch is locked up?? In park or reverse I can only rev the engine to about 2400rpm before it hits stall speed, like it's in gear but I don't go anywhere. In Neutral with the engine running it acts like it's in gear and if started in Neutral it jumps ahead a little. Neutral with the engine off works normally...???

It sounds like the rear band/band strut has broken, or the overdrive unit has fried. When the bushings go bad in the overdrive sungear, it loses lube to the planetary and cooks it.
In your opinion is there anything I should try before I go and throw another one in? Thanks for always giving some good info!

same exact thing happened to my zj. not sure what it was but it just started working when i was rolling foward and thru it in reverse. I would still like to no what the real problem was with it though

I finally had a chance to work on it yesterday. After numerous times of trying to throw it in reverse I finally caved in and pulled the pan. When I got it off I could immediately just see it was full of metal shavings, there was metal bit and pieces just hanging off the valve body. The filter was was just full of metal, in the pic you really can't see how bad it is. Needless to say looks like I'm going to be replacing it

Attachments

• DSC01908.JPG
    DSC01908.JPG
    205.9 KB · Views: 524
So was the valve body
I finally had a chance to work on it yesterday. After numerous times of trying to throw it in reverse I finally caved in and pulled the pan. When I got it off I could immediately just see it was full of metal shavings, there was metal bit and pieces just hanging off the valve body. The filter was was just full of metal, in the pic you really can't see how bad it is. Needless to say looks like I'm going to be replacing it
So was the Valve Body the problem?

Back