notarize just the seller's signature?

bigwaylon

title doesn't really spell it out...but best I recall, only the seller's signature actually has to be notarized, right?

my credit union (downstairs in my building) does them for free...but not sure how well they know all the possible laws...

according to:

http://www.ncdot.org/dmv/vehicle_services/registrationtitling/vehiclesSellingDonating.html

Are you selling/donating a vehicle?

When selling a vehicle or donating a vehicle the following items are required on the back of the North Carolina title:

• Purchaser's name and address
  • Date of sale or date of delivery
  • Seller's signature and hand printed name
  • Odometer Reading
  • Notarization
  • Damage Disclosure

that reads to me that I need to print his name/address at the top...but his signature doesn't need to be there to be notarized...

Greg

That is correct. This is intended as protection for thr seller, not buyer.
The key is making the notary feel comfy that the title will remain protected until the buyer signs. While thi technically isn't part of their job in teh transaction, many won't agree unless they like it.
If the buyer iss not nearby and this is why the issue comes up, most banks/credit unions (I've done thsi through both State Emp. and First Union) will let you sisgn it there, then they will courier to a branch near the buyer, who can show ID and pick it up from them. SECU didn't even charge me for any of it.

I got one from someone that got it from someone else. the first guy signed it and passed it on. When i sell my car i will pass it on too. It's an open title is all. just have to make sure no one else gets a hold of it.

open titles aren't kosher in NC, counties can't collect property taxes. I'd only leave a title open if it was a parts vehicle, etc, and wasn't going on the road anymore

Back