NP205 help King, NC

strange1

ive got a friend needing help diagnosing some noise/vibration. He believes it is coming from his 205 case. Looking for a reputable shop between Mt Airy and Kernersville NC. @Oliver's @John Smith

@strange1 I’m in King and might be willing to help. PM me some of the particulars and vehicle info.

Otherwise, he might try Melvin Beasley on Nance Rd. Melvin can be quite the strange intellect but generally does work others won't touch. Any shop should be able to diagnose a noise/vibration problem but most shy away from modded/lifted trucks.

@mcutler would be the only real serious professional that I know of locally. Obviously, @MarsFab but he's 1.5 hours away.

Last edited:
I'd be happy to go for a ride and see if I could help. But to be quite honest, I'm no diagnostician, but may could point you in the right direction.

Hell, I've never disassembled a tcase even... never needed to. I haven't run anything but an atlas in over 20 years, lol.

As said, more rig specs and a pic please.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Not a tcase pro but I’ve had my Dana 300 apart a few times in the last year. I’d start by checking the end play on the output shaft bearings. Next drop the inspection cover and see if anything falls out. It may just need a bearing rebuild which can easily be done in a weekend.

JBConversions has the hook up for 205 parts if the diagnostic is to replace the bearings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From the owner..

“68 GMC with 6" spring lift, Dodge NV4500 with GM input and Dodge NP205. Has about 5,000 highway miles and it had a ceased rear u-joint in the 1st 500 miles.

It does it [vibrates] all the time in 4H and really bad on the coast side of the gears.

In 2H it really only does it above 60 MPH on the coast side of the gear.

From the owner..

“68 GMC with 6" spring lift, Dodge NV4500 with GM input and Dodge NP205. Has about 5,000 highway miles and it had a ceased rear u-joint in the 1st 500 miles.

It does it [vibrates] all the time in 4H and really bad on the coast side of the gears.

In 2H it really only does it above 60 MPH on the coast side of the gear.
My first guess would be rear pinion, if happening when coasting.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

X2 @mcutler

Obviously, anything loose or worn. Seems like a ujoint vibrates under acceleration and dismisses when you back off the power but I’d still check.

Might also check pinion angle. While accelerating it may be “phasing in” but under deceleration or braking, it may be pulling pinion down, out of optimal angle.

I'm the friend in King that strange1 is talking about. The driveshaft angle out of the xfer case is about 12* and 11* measured at the rear pinion. The tranny and xfer case is only about an inch longer than the SM465/205 that was taken out with the same lift, wheels and tires and there was never any driveline vibrations or odd sounds with that setup at up to 100 mph.

That being said, the vibration, growl, rattle seemed to be coming from the transmission or transfer case. The issue was only noticeable above 60 mph in 2H until I drove it in the snow in 4H in early December and the same issue was now amplified greatly and it was obvious it was coming from the 205.

I think I might just contact Melvin Beasly that was suggested above and have him pull it out and take a look.

Thanks for the help.

I'm the friend in King that strange1 is talking about. The driveshaft angle out of the xfer case is about 12* and 11* measured at the rear pinion. The tranny and xfer case is only about an inch longer than the SM465/205 that was taken out with the same lift, wheels and tires and there was never any driveline vibrations or odd sounds with that setup at up to 100 mph.

That being said, the vibration, growl, rattle seemed to be coming from the transmission or transfer case. The issue was only noticeable above 60 mph in 2H until I drove it in the snow in 4H in early December and the same issue was now amplified greatly and it was obvious it was coming from the 205.

I think I might just contact Melvin Beasly that was suggested above and have him pull it out and take a look.

Thanks for the help.
Just as a thought, I would try to put a spacer under the transmission 1 degree isn't very optimum for pinion angle did you like the way I put that big word in there John Smith lol. But seriously trans spacer would be the easiest place to start if it got worse or better that would give you some direction. Vibration in 4 hi is prolly your front shaft till your problem is fixed I would remove front shaft to take it out of the mix. You mentioned truck was lifted with springs so im going to assume no lift blocks in rear? are there shims on springs? is truck short bed or long bed? lots of varibles to fixing vibration. Good luck with it, make sure and post results please.

Back