Np208 SYE or hi angle SY

a_kelley

mechanical fixer
Anyone know where I could get a sye (yoke only, like a hack n tap) for the Chevy np208?

That or high angle/clearance slip yoke?

Or maybe even just an offset universal joint to get more angle out of what I've already got?

A new high clearance slip yoke would be great. I can get 23* from the one yoke binding. The other side binds at 27*. I need to get about 36*.

Converting to fixed yoke would work also.

Pics for attention.

IMG_20200110_114900671.jpg
IMG_20200110_114911509.jpg

Dude in the video made his own. Looks pretty straight forward as long as you pay attention to measurements. Doesn’t show how he got the output seal in there though.

They say you can take a certain year range model dodge/Jeep 208, use the main shaft, shifter rod, and rear case half to make a GM 208 SYE.

They say you can take a certain year range model dodge/Jeep 208, use the main shaft, shifter rod, and rear case half to make a GM 208 SYE.

This is true. A friend did it about 12 yrs ago. He got a Dodge NP208 from the JY and used the back half of the Dodge case and Dodge output shaft. I think there was a little more too it than that, but he made it work without too much hassle.

Ford ran fixed yoke NP208's in some of the early 80's Broncos, I wonder if the parts are compatible with the GM 208's?

I'll look into the Dodge sye. Hope to find one Y the u pull yard, and get it for $150+/-. And the shaft too I suppose. Any idea what years or vehicles I'll be looking for? The sye will allow me to rotate the diff up to point at the transfer case, so that will help with the angle issue also. I'm ready to wrap up this blue toylet and get on to more exciting projects. But my "rule" is one serious project at a time with an open completion date so I'm not rushed and can devote time to it when I can and am feeling creative - I've perpetually got a back log of work to be performed.

This is true. A friend did it about 12 yrs ago. He got a Dodge NP208 from the JY and used the back half of the Dodge case and Dodge output shaft. I think there was a little more too it than that, but he made it work without too much hassle.

Something about the range cam has to be swapped I think. If you’ve got both cases there it swaps over.

I'll look into the Dodge sye. Hope to find one Y the u pull yard, and get it for $150+/-. And the shaft too I suppose. Any idea what years or vehicles I'll be looking for? The sye will allow me to rotate the diff up to point at the transfer case, so that will help with the angle issue also. I'm ready to wrap up this blue toylet and get on to more exciting projects. But my "rule" is one serious project at a time with an open completion date so I'm not rushed and can devote time to it when I can and am feeling creative - I've perpetually got a back log of work to be performed.

Dodge used 208's from 80 to 86 or 87 in 1/2 ton trucks and ramchargers and most 3/4 ton trucks. I've got one at the house I'd let go if you can wait a few weeks for it.

Duane

Last edited:
I'm going to try using a CV yoke on the output.
Dude in the video made his own. Looks pretty straight forward as long as you pay attention to measurements. Doesn’t show how he got the output seal in there though.

like this. If that doesn't work out, I'll try finding a Dodge unit. I don't really need a longer drive shaft but it wouldn't hurt to have the extra length because angle. This is why I haven't welded the rear perches yet.

I'm going to try using a CV yoke on the output.
like this. If that doesn't work out, I'll try finding a Dodge unit. I don't really need a longer drive shaft but it wouldn't hurt to have the extra length because angle. This is why I haven't welded the rear perches yet.
Well I figured if you could make it work with nothing more than finding a yoke. It might be a super cheap but strong way to go without doing a hack n tap. Like I said the only thing it didn’t show was how to mill it for the output seal. You’re a pretty resourceful dooder though so you got it.

Back