NP231 RATTLE NOISE

Holy crap what a pain in the arse. So I had a SYE and driveshaft installed. Since then the transfer case had a rattle noise. Could duplicate it on a lift in gear (5sp manual). Jeep has 150k on it so just assumed the chain was a little stretched so I had one of my ASE master techs rebuild it. He said he has never done one before but how hard could it be right? I trusted he could handle it. After the rebuild it STILL had the rattle. We assumed at this point maybe one of the planetary gears or something was bad. I snagged a used transfer case. He swapped the SYE and new chain onto the used unit. STILL frigging rattled. I saw a video on Youtube where a guy had a similar noise (mine isn't quite that bad) and it was the ball socket in the cardan joint. We rebuilt the front driveshaft. STILL rattles, although that did clear up some harmonic droning at highway speeds. Is it possible the SYE is causing the rattle? It all started when it was installed. How do you check it? I have the transfer case that we rebuilt sitting on the ground. Should I get another SYE and have someone familiar with them install it and go through the dang thing? Stoopid Jeep lol.

Jamie

I’d put a stock np231 back. SYE is really only convenient on an XJ if you are lifted +5” and you need the strength.

What sort of rattle are you hearing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Were the plastic shift fork pads good (or there )? Did they come in the rebuild kit?

I’d tear it down. Maybe a snap ring was forgotten. I just pulled one apart and there really isn’t much to leave out or adjust improperly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any updates here? Have a similar noise after doing sye. Few things I've read talks about the front driveshaft but I've taken it out and driven around and get the same noise.

Back