NP273 Rebuild and Duramax Swap

Nice write up. I think this is the same case I have in the Excursion. There aren't any aftermarket gearing options for it is there?

Yeah, same case in the Excursion. No aftermarket gearing options that I know, but I did learn that a LOT of New Process cases share several common parts and stuff can be interchanged fairly easily.

To get the transfer case at the proper angle. Without it, it would be hanging almost straight down.

Hello from Russia!

I want install to Allison transmission np273f transfer case with dodge 29 splines shaft. Please say, why you use ring flange on this place on photo?
The ring allows you to rotate the mounting orientation of the transfer case so that it aligns correctly with the truck body above and the skidplate or crossmember below.

That's pretty much what I said :D

I tried to keep it simple for translation purposes. We got him covered either way. Maybe he'll want me to build him one. It'd be cool as hell to have something I built go to mother Russia!

Wait...would I be colluding then? Ehh...I'm not running for any kind of office, so who cares? :D

I realize this is a really old thread but it is the best wright up on it i have came across. I have one question though. If the input from the dodge case is the correct one would it not be easier to just start with that case to begin with or am i missing something? Ok not that old that was your joind date sorry.lol

If you want to use a Dodge case, I guess you could. I used the Ford one because it has a fixed rear yoke. I didn't want a slip yoke at the transfer case. You'd have to pull it apart and swap the shift cam out anyway, so while you're that far in and likely rebuilding it anyway, it's just as easy to swap the input.

That I don't know, but I do have a handful of cases laying around and I can try and take some measurements if need be.

Last edited:
I'd likely need the whole case so I could machine the tone ring and the clamp, then assemble it, and get a depth measurement so the VSS would have the proper spacing. If I had taken location measurements on mine I could probably do it without all of that, but I didnt.

I'd likely need the whole case so I could machine the tone ring and the clamp, then assemble it, and get a depth measurement so the VSS would have the proper spacing. If I had taken location measurements on mine I could probably do it without all of that, but I didnt.
Ok thank you

Not really how this works and it's not what this thread is about.

I have a NP273c NV273c transfer case that has a vibration and I put bearings in it vibration went away for a 200 miles now it back I am thinking that I must have a shaft that is bent I replaced both driveshafts the front input shaft in the transfer is the one that has the movement in it so that’s why I have a vibration just would like to know why and what to do to fix it and find parts the transfer case is in a 07gmc c4500 my phone number is +12079300712 call or text with answer thanks mike I really need anybody that can help me with my problem I haven’t been able to locate anything and if anyone had any ideas on what transfer would work in it place out what I could try its what I make my living with it’s what puts food on the table year round i Snowplow and sand in the winter and haul equipment and cars and landscape it’s all I have. I got laid off after 28 years of construction and whatever I could do to make a living got kind of forced out I put all my money into it I can’t afford to start over lot blood sweat and tears be greatly appreciated if someone could help me out

Not sure. I've got two trashed 263XHDs laying around and I could check. It's easier to just buy a new cam and not take a small piece out of another case if it's in good shape. Then you can sell it and recoup over half of your money for putting together a 273.

Did some quick picture and part number comparisons. They look to be of different dimensions. Likely due to a longer travel for shifting in the bigger case. The detents look similar, but the groove that pushes the shift forks isn't spaced the same...although it is a very similar shape.

Well that is good to know. I have 2 263xhds i will be selling if i ever get that far. One is stock the other has had the upgraded rear case on it. I found a dodge 271 with the right input shaft and it has the fixed yoke on the back it was out of a cab and chassis i guess.

Sorry for the thread necro, subscribing to track a conversation. I have a Ford 271 that I want to stick on the back of my Allison. 29 spline input is easy, but the VSS might be more troublesome.

Thinking this: Differential Mounted 40-Tooth Reluctor Ring Kit for S10 & 4L60-E V8 #4L60-006 on the Ford flange, but worried about an exposed VSS messing with my shift tables.

I pm'd you about building one for me. Also talking with Transfer Case Express who builds the WFO cases.

Sorry for the thread necro, subscribing to track a conversation. I have a Ford 271 that I want to stick on the back of my Allison. 29 spline input is easy, but the VSS might be more troublesome.

Thinking this: Differential Mounted 40-Tooth Reluctor Ring Kit for S10 & 4L60-E V8 #4L60-006 on the Ford flange, but worried about an exposed VSS messing with my shift tables.

I pm'd you about building one for me. Also talking with Transfer Case Express who builds the WFO cases.
Just a heads up he may be a bit slow to respond as he is currently traveling for business. Hang in there as he is the bees knees in this area of tech.

I just messaged him. It's only a 13 hour time difference :D

Nobody that I know of, including myself, has had good luck with Transfer Case Express, just FYI.

Back