OBS 7.3 long crank time

Van-go

Not an old man
1997 f350 5 speed 4x4
226,000mi
To start off, I was hauling to Harlan last weekend. Went in sheetz, left truck running and came out to a huge puddle of oil underneath.
Tracked it down, and it was the oil plug on the back of the drivers side head. I think it is a high pressure plug.

I reluctantly decided to drive to harlan and back, stopping every hour or so to add oil.
2 stroke powerstroke lol
I got home and ordered the part I needed. I put it in and let the special loctite cure and just cranked it today. My oil was 3 or so quarts low.

The first time I cranked it, it took about 30 seconds and blew some white smoke. It usually blows a little when it sits for a week or so. It cleared right up though.

I shut it off, checked the oil, and went to restart it a minute later and it took about 30 seconds again.

It runs fine after it idles for a minute but does idle a little rough at first.

Could my HPOP reservoir not have oil in it or something?

Any help appreciated

Last edited:
Yeah I’ve heard it can take 100 miles or more before you get all the air out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I’ve heard it can take 100 miles or more before you get all the air out.

I feel like there is a "right" way to bleed the system

Sure it doesn't have to do with the recent cold weather? Glow plugs all working properly?
I know my Cummins could give a shit about the grid heater working but the 7.3 won't even try to start without the glow plugs.

Sure it doesn't have to do with the recent cold weather? Glow plugs all working properly?
I know my Cummins could give a shit about the grid heater working but the 7.3 won't even try to start without the glow plugs.

It could be. Just seems odd that it happened after I was into the HPO system.

My 99 7.3 is not liking the cooler mornings either. Time to do some maintenance on the glow plugs!

Cleared up after I towed to the flats and back. Guess it had air in the HPOS.

Thanks guys.

Last edited:
Yeah i put a hpop crossover on my 97 and it took a week of back and forth to work to get all the air out of the system. Just the way it goes.

Back