Off-road "teardrop" camper?

junkxj

Well poop!!!!!
So, as much as I hate to admit it, I am not as young as I used to be. I.E. I can't sleep well anymore on the ground while camping...

So, I have been looking at the so called off road campers, and decided it would be a good compromise between comfort and still being able to camp out in the wood.

Thinking about buying/building one.
Does anyone has experience or advice on the little campers?

Thanks in advance!

@Aaronrockclimber had a pop up style. Not a teardrop, but similar. It was for sale on here a few weeks ago, not sure if it still is.

I believe that was the Fleetwood Neon? I have the same and like it. Lots more room than a teardrop, but the set up kinda sucks for one night trailside type camping.
Fleetwood Neon trail camper

Here's a link to a teardrop one of our club members has.
Offroad Teardrop

I do like the Fleetwood neons, but want something a little more secure.

Hoping to also use this camper at concerts and the such, cant see leaving a soft sided camper in down town charlotte and not worrying about the contents walking away.

SoCal Teardrops are nice but $$. Someone visiting someone who lives in the next neighborhood had one, and we stopped to check it out, it was pretty sweet. Towing it with a JKU that had probably never seen a gravel driveway in it's life.

There are alot of really nice campers built by small companies out there, but usually also have a "nice" price tag. Some i have looked at are $30k for a 8 foot trailer!! And I would agree that most of the off road teardrops I have seen are pulled by mall crawlers. Much like alot of the trucks you see with the fancy rtts...

You can get a little guy build to your spec for $10-15K, I had one, took it through hell and back, mine didn't have the offroad package on it. don't really need one unless you plan on hard wheeling with it connected, just adds weight to it.

This was mine, picked it up new for $7K. Had sink and running water, lights and a powered fan in the roof, not a whole lot of other frills but it was a good queen size bed in a box. It's weight was about 800-1000lbs. They make them much bigger if you want to spend the $$$, king bed, even have some you can stand in but they are around $20K.

You can get a little guy build to your spec for $10-15K, I had one, took it through hell and back, mine didn't have the offroad package on it. don't really need one unless you plan on hard wheeling with it connected, just adds weight to it.

This was mine, picked it up new for $7K. Had sink and running water, lights and a powered fan in the roof, not a whole lot of other frills but it was a good queen size bed in a box. It's weight was about 800-1000lbs. They make them much bigger if you want to spend the $$$, king bed, even have some you can stand in but they are around $20K.

Looks like an awesome camper. What size was It? And is there anything you would get different if you were to buy another one?

Looks like an awesome camper. What size was It? And is there anything you would get different if you were to buy another one?

It was what they call a 5-wide, 5ft wide about 12ft from tip to tip. If you are much over 6ft tall I would suggest getting a 6- wide or even better a silver shadow model, the big difference is the 6ft ones are a king size mattress and the 5/6 wide has a different galley than the silver shadow, I had a 5-wide, I like the silver shadow galley better. their website shows they have added alot of new models since I last looked, check it out and find a dealer to get a hands on look at them. I traded up to a 27ft bumper haul camper but I wish I could have kept both, loved taking it out on Cape Lookout fishing.

I think the 5 foot wide would be what I would want. Was the trailer you owned built well? Did you ever see any evidence of structural issues from using it off road?
Also, did you ever wish it had a/c and heat?

You can build your own on a landscaping trailer frame. Just google all the various plans.

I have been looking at the home built plans for a while. Just been trying to decide what would be the best "design" to go with and if I should build on a prebuilt trailer or make my own

Back