Offroad DIY Camping Tent-top Trailer for my Jeep

fishhouse4

Triad Jeep Club
I just finished building my Jeep camping trailer and thought I would share for others that might be interested in a similar DIY project. Basically I wanted something compact, 4x4 capable that could follow me on the trails and matched the overall look of my JK Wrangler.

I started construction in Fall of 2013 with plans for my first camping trip in April of 2014. I only worked on it a weekend or two a month for about 6 months and have about $2,500 invested. Ended up with a spacious, comfortable, rock solid and VERY offroad capable camper with plenty of sleeping room and storage.

It was a blast to build and a great learning experience - well worth the time and cost. Had help from some awesome 4x4 friends as well. I welcome any questions about the project for those that might be interested in building their own.

You can check out full details over on my build thread at the TVenturing forum.

awww.growfishtank.com_camping_trailer_IMG_1877.jpg

awww.growfishtank.com_camping_trailer_IMG_1878.jpg

awww.growfishtank.com_camping_trailer_IMG_1879.jpg

awww.growfishtank.com_camping_trailer_IMG_1883.jpg

awww.growfishtank.com_camping_trailer_IMG_1881.jpg

awww.growfishtank.com_camping_trailer_IMG_0023.jpg

Out of all Home made trailer/camping trailers I have seen, this one ranks right up there in the top 5.
I do have a few questions and or observations.
Any idea how much it weighs? Loaded and unloaded.
What all do you plan to store underneath, in the box?
Do you think the lightweight wood frame and sides will hold up to extreme trail use.
Have you given thought to water storage and fuel storage? What comes to my mind is using it for something like a
Moab adventure vacation where you have no choice but to take in everything you need.
Pulling a trailer across a trail isn't as easy as some think. Easy enough to navigate your rig and dodge diff hang ups, but the trailer will not track where your rig axles do. I have seen axles re-designed to allow it to go over big rocks and such. __/---\__ so to speak. Also, some simple plate welded to the axle at angles could make it easy to slide over things too.
Any thought on fenders? even some detachable ones would be good to keep water from being forced up into the tent and mattress.

Thanks for the props!

Haven't weighed it but between the frame, wooden box, tent and wheels and tires it's probably 500lbs…maybe 600. It's still light enough for me to pick up the tongue and push it around my garage. :)

I figure I'll have 100lbs of gear…maybe 200. The box is divided into 2 sections - one in the back for larger items like chairs, suitcases, camping stoves, etc. The front section has cabinets that can be used for kitchen items, food, tools, etc. The platform portion at the very front I'll use to hold my 8 gallon water jug and a big cooler.

I hope everything holds up fine. I don't plan on major offloading - not taking it up Daniel at URE or anything. So, it should do fine for "easy" trails. I used really strong marine grade plywood supported by a 1x2" frame…all buttoned up with wood screws and professional strength glue. The bedliner it's all wrapped it is very much like Line-X and adds to the strength as well.

I've seen lots of other trailers that get into things like fuel storage, batteries/power connections, solar panels, on board fridges and stoves…you name it. Don't get me wrong those are killer but just way overkill for what I needed. I really only camp for a few nights at a time at somewhere like URE or a campground up in Boone or something.

Did not originally plan on fenders. But in hindsight I think I will need to add some. Plan to look around and see if I can find some pre-built ones large enough. I could also pickup some stock JK Wrangler ones that matched and try as well.

I like it. I've been wanting to build some sort of trailer, truck seems to keep getting smaller and smaller with tools and recovery gear.

Hummmm......... ideas ideas this would be a cool idea for behind my blazer instead of towing it on the trailer behind the dually so i have all my gear with me

very well thought-out and engineered, I don't think you can buy something that fits as well as the build on this one looks. i'm getting ideas of my own, thanks for sharing!

Very cool!

Did you make the tent and vestibule, or are they available like that?
I have a small trailer, but it's not quite that wide. I could still make a box like that.

Tent and vestibule (aka "changing room") both available ready to go. Check out: http://www.top-tent.com/tentunits/moabtent

very well thought-out and engineered, I don't think you can buy something that fits as well as the build on this one looks. i'm getting ideas of my own, thanks for sharing!

Check out the http://tventuring.com site if you haven't already - lots of cool examples there!

Back