"Old Bill" 1968 Chevy 4wd resto/build

ncgamedog

A little background info:
This is a resto build of my Grandpa's 1968 Chevy LWB. He bought the truck about 5 years ago from his best friend and high school classmate, Bill, who has owned the truck since new. The truck is in really great shape for its age and just needs a little love. My grandpa and Bill have been friends and played bluegrass music together for years. Bill just recently suddenly passed so we have decided to restore the truck in Bill's honer. The truck has been affectionately referred to as "the ole' Bill truck" among my family to distinguish it from the rest of the fleet, hence the name of the build lol.

Specs on the truck as it sits:
68 Chevy LWB 2wd coil spring rear
327 ci small block
TH400
non AC
Large back window
Ugly sea-green :shaking:

Build Plans:

Engine:
Going with a later 5.7 (350 ci) TBI roller bottom end, bored 0.030 over with new flattop pistons and full rebuild.
Heads are yet to be determined, looking for some early castings with around 70-76 cc chambers and smaller intake valves to create more torque. Performer intake, w/ rebuilt Rochester carb, long tube headers, HEI, ect. Pretty standard stuff. The original 327 runs amazing! It just needs all new seals, this route was just more cost effective for now.

Chassis and drivetrain:
The truck will be remarried to a 1972 4wd frame and axles.
Dana 44 front/12b rear 3.73 posi, both axles are getting completely rebuilt. The frame has been completely stripped, blasted, and repainted along with all the springs and accessories. The original TH400 will be retained and converted to 4wd using a 32 spline 205. I've got all 32 spline outputs for the case as well.

Body/Paint and Interior:
The body is getting media blasted and a few rust spots repaired. It needs rocker panels, a small bed patch, and a new tailgate, otherwise the body is very straight and in good shape. The paint is still undecided but its looking like most all of the CST trim will be deleted and we'll be going with a solid blue color. Something like a Viper blue or Shelby blue. It will get all new "as original" interior as well.

Other:
In general there will be few hardcore mods to the truck. We are using the original leaves with new polys everywhere. We have a set of original solid wheels that will get blasted and painted/powder coated. I'm shopping around for some old school tall skinny mud terrain tires to mount on them as well.

On to the Pics:

Old Bill

Interior

Roller Before

Chassis stripped ready for blasting

Chassis and springs blasted ready for paint

Close up of blasted frame

Engine crossmember in ready for paint

Frame after paint

Frame and springs painted

Small Parts ready for paint

Springs painted

Dana 44 before

Stay tuned for updates, working on the axles now....

i love those trucks. great work on the restore so far. i can't wait to see how it looks as you get farther and farther along.

Todays progress...

rear springs hung

front shackles and new bumpstops all around

T-case x-member reassembled w new bushings

Frame front from Driver side

ai1083.photobucket.com_albums_j395_ncgamedog_photobucket_1126_1310162119357.jpg

Continued cleaning on the dana 44

Both axles have been completely stripped down, cleaned, and all new bearings, seals, ball joints, u-joints, wheel studs, brakes, ect. have been installed.

The paint being used is SEM Rust Shield chassis paint which uses its own hardener. Its supposed to be super tough stuff, and lays down much nicer than POR 15 IMO.

Many thanks to Chris at MarsFab for his hard work and attention to detail on the completion of the rolling chassis!! His customer service has been second to none!!

Love the old Chevys. My Dad still has his 71 camper special k20. I remember standing up in the seat when we brought it home from City Chevrolet.

The rolling chassis all finished up...gotta hurry and finish the wheels up and find a set of tires so these horrible roll-a-rounds can go!

ai1083.photobucket.com_albums_j395_ncgamedog_photobucket_2152_1310687349900.jpg

ai1083.photobucket.com_albums_j395_ncgamedog_photobucket_3027_1310687398726.jpg

ai1083.photobucket.com_albums_j395_ncgamedog_photobucket_4064_1310687439344.jpg

ai1083.photobucket.com_albums_j395_ncgamedog_photobucket_5476_1310688461078.jpg

ai1083.photobucket.com_albums_j395_ncgamedog_photobucket_2078_1310688549602.jpg

hey justin. here are your rendering. i hope they help.
ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_68_chevy_1.jpg

with some bling wheels. :)
ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_68_chevy_2.jpg

Hey Justin have you thought about boxing in the frame since you got it down to that point?

Hey Justin have you thought about boxing in the frame since you got it down to that point?

Nah not really bro...
For one it's already painted, and I'm trying to keep it "original appearing". There is really no need for the the extra strength from boxing on this particular truck. It will always be a small block of some flavor, whether it be a Gen I or Gen III. There is also some subjectivity associated with fully boxing the GM truck frames. The original chassis engineers designed it to have some flex in it. I think its acceptable if you truly FULLY box the frame. Doing just sections transfers the torsional stresses to concentrated areas, and can actually make it worse. IF I had future plans for a cummins swap or something like that, I would have definitely considered it.

looks like good work, justin. Im glad that you are using that engineering vocabulary. I still remember doing the trash route in that truck (when the brown ones brakes caught fire) and there was a rat in it!! Good times. burke

I'll be watching this build, sounds like the big brother to my 67 build.

My 67 was my great grandpa's, same starting color, I'm going 5.3 Vortec, I'm going solid blue as well, pretty much decided on Jet-stream Metallic Blue for mine, except I'm going the other way, down with mine.

BTW if you are set on using "stockish" wheels with the dog dish hub caps, but want a little wider than the 15x6 wheels, look for the 15x8 6 lug wheels off the CUCV Blazers. They share the same stamped center section as the stock wheels with the provisions for the dog dish caps, but with better backspacing and width for 4wd application. I have a set as I was planning on going 15x6 front/15x8 staggered rear and run the stock dog dish caps on mine, but I think I have decided to just convert to 5 lug and ditch the steelies.
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f43/GCncsuHD/wheel.jpg

I am envious of the big back window.
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f43/GCncsuHD/Papaws Truck/DSCN2930.jpg

I'll be watching this build, sounds like the big brother to my 67 build.

My 67 was my great grandpa's, same starting color, I'm going 5.3 Vortec, I'm going solid blue as well, pretty much decided on Jet-stream Metallic Blue for mine, except I'm going the other way, down with mine.

BTW if you are set on using "stockish" wheels with the dog dish hub caps, but want a little wider than the 15x6 wheels, look for the 15x8 6 lug wheels off the CUCV Blazers. They share the same stamped center section as the stock wheels with the provisions for the dog dish caps, but with better backspacing and width for 4wd application. I have a set as I was planning on going 15x6 front/15x8 staggered rear and run the stock dog dish caps on mine, but I think I have decided to just convert to 5 lug and ditch the steelies.
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f43/GCncsuHD/wheel.jpg

I am envious of the big back window.
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f43/GCncsuHD/Papaws Truck/DSCN2930.jpg

Sounds awesome bro! I would like to grab a set of those CUCV wheels...just wish they were 16's. I'd like to stay away from the 15's. Are you sure they are 15's? Seems like the military would have used 16's, but I have no idea.

BC16802E-D1A1-4040-B074-5EC383ED4303.jpeg
8A7F880E-04F3-46F9-A405-42E2772E93F8.jpeg
33F55373-F378-4E47-8F3E-E36636FFB237.jpeg
68BEBC33-B757-4828-98A5-F6DE35B661FA.jpeg
196B9476-7200-4456-AC40-C7DB8A53E5C8.jpeg
022A84FF-8AFA-4551-BFAF-76BBA969F730.jpeg
F1FDC951-BD17-45EA-8156-D49ABA259B3A.jpeg
So there has not been much progress on this in a few years. The body has been repaired and resprayed. Original 327 & TH400 have been rebuilt. It’s a running driving 2wd.

I’d really like to find someone who could swap the body and drivetrain over to the 4wd roller. I have 90% of the parts needed to make it happen.

If anyone can recommend someone within an hour or so of Charlotte please let me know.

Some updated pics attached

Gorgeous truck and chassis you’ve got there!!!!

Retro Designs in Harrisburg could do it easily. I don’t have the slightest clue how much they would charge though. I’ve seen some of their builds, beautiful work.

Fast forward 3-4 years and I still have not made progress on this. However I would like to pick the ball back up and get it rolling. I've relocated to the Triad (Winston-salem, Greensboro), and would like to find someone local willing to take on the project.
I'm not looking for a show truck restoration, but a driver that dependable and fun. Can anyone recommend a shop or person in the area that could handle the body swap and maybe an LS swap upgrade?

Back