old car, old gas

orange150

I might finally finish a project soon!
I just orderd the last few parts (hopefully) for my '29 Model A and am now thinking about the gas that has been sitting in the tank now for about 2 years. When it ran we added lead to the gas so the truck would run better if that would make any difference in the fuel sitting. What is the best thing to do with that gas? should i try to suck it out of the tank or what?
Thanks

for a project like this, I'd pull the tank and drain it. Then rinse it out good before putting it back in.

upnover said:
for a project like this, I'd pull the tank and drain it. Then rinse it out good before putting it back in.
Thats funny , pull the tank, never worked on an A model have ya. But yes I would drain the old fuel out.

junkman said:
Thats funny , pull the tank, never worked on an A model have ya. But yes I would drain the old fuel out.

Nope, just thinking in terms of what I would do to any other ride. So I guess you are saying it's a pita to remove?

upnover said:
Nope, just thinking in terms of what I would do to any other ride. So I guess you are saying it's a pita to remove?
The section between the hood and windshield Is the tank ,The dashboard is mounted to the tank ,the windshield is attached to the tank. You have to disassemble half the car to remove the tank. The A model uses no fuel pump so it is mounted above the motor to gravity feed.

junkman said:
The section between the hood and windshield Is the tank ,The dashboard is mounted to the tank ,the windshield is attached to the tank. You have to disassemble half the car to remove the tank. The A model uses no fuel pump so it is mounted above the motor to gravity feed.

Hey Mike, Drain it and flush it!;)

if the gas is only a couple of years old I wouldn't worry about it.

my truck sat for four years and the tank had a ring around the inside where the old gas had evaporated somewhat and it was so bad I had to get it dipped to get it cleaned out. I don't know but I would do my best to clean it out if it needs it since it will do nothing but cause you problems if you don't. my pick up was completely stopped up and the carb was to the point of having to be rebuilt. where the old gas sat in it.

OK, I just had an experience with old gasoline that I'll relay for everyones benefit. This was with a zero turn mower with a Kawasaki twin cylinder engine. Being thrifty .....ok, cheap ..... I used some gas I had siphoned from one of my parts cars. It was orange, smelled old. I cut for 3-4 hours, no problem. Next day I went to crank it, wouldn't hit a lick!:wtf: It took hours of diagnosing and a compression check before figuring out both intake push rods were bent badly and had fallen off of the rocker arms. The intake valves in both heads were stuck SOLID! :eek: I emptyed a can of carb cleaner down the intake, let it sit for a couple of hours and finally got the valves freed up. I ordered new push rods, installed them and it runs like new. Never had I seen old gas do that before. Don't use smelly old gas or you're subject to be very sorry.:shaking:

well i drove it around the block for the first time yesterday, she started up and puttered like it was new!! I was doin about 25mph in that bad boy, can't beat it.

Old gas is like varnish. Very sticky. While running the movement kept everything loose but once it cooled off and the old gas solidified that was it. You probably bent the push rods when you tried to start it up the next day. Suffice to say, don't use really old gas. (But you already know that.)

Back