Old metal shaping and repair

R Q

Working on my '56 Willys truck, I am trying to get the body in a little better shape, The rear fenders are junk and the bed is pushed out from 60+ years of it being loaded. I've always owned old junk so hammering fenders and other body parts back into shape is the norm.
Once old metal is warped and stretched you have to shrink it to get it to hold a position or form and I've always done it with a torch, hammer, and then water to cool it off quick. Well on the Willys I don't want the burn marks all over the side of the bed because I am leaving it in it's patina form. Recently I saw a video of a guy shrinking metal using a worn out sanding disk on a 4.5'' grinder, getting it hot with friction and then cooling it with an air nozzle. I could do this from the inside of the bed so it would not affect the outside paint much.
Has anyone ever done it this way? I'm going to try it regardless but just looking for first hand experience...

Cool! thanks!
I have used a shrinking disc with excellent results. It was stainless steel and is easy to use but will effect the finish. I always used on bare steel. I even over shrinked a door one time and had stretch it back out

Back