Online Credit Card Companies

R Q

I have a balance on my personal credit card which is through my regular bank. I like doing a lot of my banking in person, I'm old school like that even though the banks arent anymore. But I'd like to save on fees and could transfer this balance to a new card with great rates and no interest on the transferred balance.
What is your favorite online credit card company or bank?

Go for the cash-back. Most of my stuff goes on Citi - 2% cash back. Amazon card (chase) gets me 5% on all amazon purchases. My regular Chase card is 1%, but has different categories each quarter that pay 5% back (i.e. groceries, gas, restaurants, etc).

Never had a problem with any of them.

I switched to Alliant credit union a few months back. 2.5% cash back on everything. And their savings account is currently paying 1.4% APR. It was 1% APR when I opened the account back in the spring, so they are quick to raise it. I've been completely happy with it.

But more importantly, if you have a balance, find a way pay it off. There is no reason to pay the ridiculous interest rates.

I switched to Alliant credit union a few months back. 2.5% cash back on everything. And their savings account is currently paying 1.4% APR. It was 1% APR when I opened the account back in the spring, so they are quick to raise it. I've been completely happy with it.

But more importantly, if you have a balance, find a way pay it off. There is no reason to pay the ridiculous interest rates.

Dang I was about to switch for the 2.5 but it’s only on the first 10k. I use my citi double cash cause it’s so easy and we don’t use enough on various special stuff categories

I shop my cards around every two years or so…there’s always some new hotness. I generally have one with cash back on gas, one with great cash back/rewards on travel and one with cash back on groceries. I used to have one more with a solid cash back incentive on ‘everything’…but I’ve found the cards I’ve used are generally 1.5-2% back on ‘everything’ anyway. Coincidentally, all my cards are with Citi right now…but it is time to start looking again.

This I had a card that I had used my last year of college to pay for school. Yes I know but I didn't have time for conventional measure as I found out 24 hrs before I had to make payment that there was a gap.

I used one of the many online debit consolidation. It's rates beat both the local banks I use and had the lowest fee to start

Dang I was about to switch for the 2.5 but it’s only on the first 10k. I use my citi double cash cause it’s so easy and we don’t use enough on various special stuff categories
That's $10k per month. One day I hope to be a high roller like you, but even then I probably won't spend $10k per month on a regular basis.

Go for the cash-back. Most of my stuff goes on Citi - 2% cash back. Amazon card (chase) gets me 5% on all amazon purchases. My regular Chase card is 1%, but has different categories each quarter that pay 5% back (i.e. groceries, gas, restaurants, etc).

Never had a problem with any of them.
5% on Amazon? My chase card is only 2 or 3%...

I just googled chase amazon card....page on chase site has a "learn more" link, that sends you to amazon. Amazon's page says info is coming soon on a new store branded card.

But yes, 5% on all Amazon

That's $10k per month. One day I hope to be a high roller like you, but even then I probably won't spend $10k per month on a regular basis.
Annual fee?
Sounds like it would pay for itself, but I recently got bit by Citi on mine bc I forgot about that detail

Annual fee?
Sounds like it would pay for itself, but I recently got bit by Citi on mine bc I forgot about that detail
It's either none, or $100, I can't remember. There's some other stipulations too, like you have to be a member (they will automatically donate to some charity and your behalf which then makes you a member, all done automaticallyat signup, super easy), 1 monthly direct deposit which can be a transfer from another institution, and $1000 min balance in checking account (which is at 0.25%APR instead of the approximately 0 percent I got through Truist/BB&T for the past 2 decades).

I have a Discover card, which I use mostly on ''auto-drafts", & has a cash back rewards. No annual fee. And I have a Fifth Third Master Card, no annual fee, & cash back rewards. I put gas, grocery, & most of my shopping. They both mirror the same rewards. I Always pay them off each month, so I don't worry about the 29% interest! I have the Lowe's card, which gives 5% off. I used to have a Walmart gas card, when they started out with a 3% off. But they dropped to something like 1 or 1.5%. At the time, I was getting More return on my Discover. Now seems everyone are the same, on cash back.

Alliant just bumped the savings rate up to 1.6%
1660675765394.png

I was just searching about Alliant and other CUs, and came across PenFed. Seems similar, 2% cash back on all purchases, just need a checking acct w/ them also.
I figured if I'm gonna go through the trouble of changing, I might as well go with 2.5% instead of 2%. One catch with Alliant is it is based on the previous quarter, so for the first 3 months, you only get 1.5% cash back. Penfed is 2% from the get go. But in the long run I'd rather have 2.5%.

And now Alliant has changed their terms so the 2.5% cash back is based on the previous month, not quarter 👍
Screenshot_20220826-190340_Gmail.jpg

So related - online savings accounts?
OFB has 2.65%. Really not bad for a savings at all.

And now that the !@#$ Fed just raised interest another .75%, it's going to go up even more. So got me thinking about transferring the emergency and growing garage-funds away from my CU.
Is there any reason not to use somebody like this?

So related - online savings accounts?
OFB has 2.65%. Really not bad for a savings at all.

And now that the !@#$ Fed just raised interest another .75%, it's going to go up even more. So got me thinking about transferring the emergency and growing garage-funds away from my CU.
Is there any reason not to use somebody like this?

I moved a fair amount of our "liquid" money to 3 month renewable CD's I think they were paying like 2.4 at the time, now its paying 3.4 and likely will pay around the same when it renews again in november.
I figure even my emergency savings in most situations I can make it work for 2 months before the CD matures.

I moved a fair amount of our "liquid" money to 3 month renewable CD's I think they were paying like 2.4 at the time, now its paying 3.4 and likely will pay around the same when it renews again in november.
I figure even my emergency savings in most situations I can make it work for 2 months before the CD matures.
Good point. And I'd wager that CD rate will be going up soon as well.

Alliant just raised their savings APY to 1.8%.

Alliant just raised their savings APY to 1.8%.
3.25% for a year...!

Thats CD kind of interests, while maintaining immediate access and no loss from withdrawal.

Back