Organzing boxes of screws / nails

RatLabGuy

You look like a monkey and smell like one too
I have amassed quite the assortment of screws and nails. deck screws (several lengths and sizes) lag screws, sheet metal screws, drywall screws... then nails.... ugh. Right now I just have giant box that is full of different boxes of them. Difficult to find anything, and if anything isn't in a box, I at least try to bag them but it's a lost cause.
I'm actually pretty organized for nuts and bolts, use a small drawer system seperated by size, SAE vs metric etc. Butt here's not as many.

How do you organize them? Its difficult when some are a pretty big box and others there's just a handful.

I used drink bottles in a six pack carrier, may or may not work for you, just thought of another idea, maybe Gatorade bottles tops cut off but keep the plastic rings. All same height "MAY" stack.
20230604_072451.jpg20230604_072343.jpg

Glad it wasn't Bud light. :gay::usa:

Just leave em in the miscellaneous tub. Thats where you're gonna look anyway.

Just leave em in the miscellaneous tub. Thats where you're gonna look anyway.
Yeah, I do too to a degree, and buy new ones when I spent 30 minutes looking for the ones I think I might have.

Talenti containers are also very good for this purpose, and i especially like that they are plastic so you don't have to worry about shattering them.

My neighbor has the most extensive collection of sorted misc screws and bolts I've ever seen. I'll try to grab a pic next time I'm over there. He even custom made a swing out cabinet for them. As impressive as it is, it helped me realized the uselessness of it to avoid doing it myself.

Talenti containers are also very good for this purpose, and i especially like that they are plastic so you don't have to worry about shattering them.

My neighbor has the most extensive collection of sorted misc screws and bolts I've ever seen. I'll try to grab a pic next time I'm over there. He even custom made a swing out cabinet for them. As impressive as it is, it helped me realized the uselessness of it to avoid doing it myself.
Really only needed if you are in some type of production capacity where you will probably use them within a few months. Fasteners are not cheap but the time spent looking for them is probably worth more.

I bought a few of these organizers from rigid. I like the miliwakay ones better but bought 3 of these for the price o

Attachments

• IMG_0203.jpeg
    IMG_0203.jpeg
    184.2 KB · Views: 45
I've started collecting pickle jars and will screw the lid to a shelf in the shop.

I do the same thing except with peanut butter jars!

I feel your pain. I have some in boxes, a boatload in a random tool box drawer and a whole tray-top hand held tool box full of them. I destroy my garage looking for random screws all the time.

Most of my bolts and matching hardware are in one of those plastic drawer bins with labeled drawers

In the shop I have well organized bolt bins and a big miscellaneous box. In the garage, I sorted them into nuts, bolts, washers, wood screws, sheet metal screws, etc. I don't know if it's better, but it makes me feel better. In the Talenti containers I mentioned earlier.
20230606_211934.jpg

Pics of my neighbor's ridiculous storage as promised.
20230612_190139.jpg

20230612_190241.jpg

20230612_190152.jpg

It's a trifold :eek:
20230612_190225.jpg

Back