Out of state speeding ticket

bigmackloud

Hey,

seems like we're always discussing speeding tickets around here, but alas, i got one down in SC a couple of weeks ago. 79mph in a 70 mph zone, on I20.

i talked to my insurance guy and he said the ticket itself won't carry any insurance points. however, since i rearended a civic a few months back, it will bring up 1pt from that. he's going to run the numbers for me to see how that would effect my insurance rates.

my other option would be to get a prayer for judgement (pjc). my insurance guy said you can only use one of these per 3yrs per household. and if i get anything else within 3 yrs, the ticket comes back as well. honestly i've only had 1 other speeding ticket and that was over 3yrs ago, so hopefully i can go another 3yrs w/o getting one.

so i have 3 basics questions:

1) how do i get a prayer for judgement? do i have to get a lawyer or can i just ask the DA?

2) since this ticket was out of state, will the state of NC know that i've already used my pjc? or does each state give you a pjc?

3) i don't actually live at home any more but my drivers liscense is still has my parents address on it. when i eventually change my official address, will the pjc follow me personally, or would it stay with my parents address? i mean, my mom has NEVER had a speeding ticket, so i don't think my parents will be needing a pjc in the next few years, lol.

thoughts and/or suggestions??

many thanks,
bigmac

you can get a PJC from a lawyer, or the DA...or take a class for it (BORING...but the route I chose)...

should another incident happen, both incidents will then count...

it should follow you...nothing to do with your address...but I don't know that for sure...

not sure on the SC vs. NC issue...

Greg

no pjcs in sc. i just got a 73 in a 55 down here. if sc doesnt report it to raleigh no one finds out any thing. about 50% dont make ti back to raleigh. hope and pray brotha

i got a ticket down at SC also and nothing has happend with my insurance up here and its been a atleast 6 months.

tyler

Got a 12 over ticket in bennettsville SC three years ago right where the highway goes from 60 to 45 and never paid it because it was total bullshit. Never showed up on my dmv records or insurance.

Screw South Carolina.

braxton357 said:
Got a 12 over ticket in bennettsville SC three years ago right where the highway goes from 60 to 45 and never paid it because it was total bullshit. Never showed up on my dmv records or insurance.

Screw South Carolina.

Just a quick FYI Braxton357...there is a GOOD chance there is a warrant for your arrest in SC if you ever get pulled again you maybe roomin with bubba for a while. NOT paying the ticket means you did not show up in court either, which means they have issued a warrant, have your drivers license number, name, address, etc.

For the MAIN topic here, I would suggest just calling a lawyer in the county where you got the ticket and getting them to handle it for you. Worth the cash to make sure your insurance does not get tagged imho.

Sam Hinton

ticket

I got one in SC, i just pleaded (no low) i think thats what it was. Pretty much you pay the fine but it doesn't go on your record. The best thing is like sam said, just pay a local lawyer and a ticket that small just goes away.

P.S. I've got a friend that didn't pay a ticket in sc. Nothing happened ubtill a year later he was at the beach, was pulled for speeding on a saturday and sat in jail till monday because he was considered a risk.

5onrocks said:
I got one in SC, i just pleaded (no low) i think thats what it was.

I think it's "no lobo contendre" - Basically admitting guilt, but asking that they not put it on your record... and willing to pay the fines. I tried that in Siler City - the DA actually laughed... Yeah, it didn't work.

SHINTON said:
Just a quick FYI Braxton357...there is a GOOD chance there is a warrant for your arrest in SC if you ever get pulled again you maybe roomin with bubba for a while. NOT paying the ticket means you did not show up in court either, which means they have issued a warrant, have your drivers license number, name, address, etc.

For the MAIN topic here, I would suggest just calling a lawyer in the county where you got the ticket and getting them to handle it for you. Worth the cash to make sure your insurance does not get tagged imho.

Sam Hinton

Yeah I realize there is probably a bench warrant...but I've also been told by a pso here that they purge thier minor traffic tickets after four years anyway. True or not, I'd rather be arrested than deal with those people again.

braxton357 said:
Yeah I realize there is probably a bench warrant...but I've also been told by a pso here that they purge thier minor traffic tickets after four years anyway. True or not, I'd rather be arrested than deal with those people again.

With the above statement - You have just committed a Violation under the ID10T code.
Probable penalties include, extreme embarrassment, peers likely to suspect your judgment, and future voilations.

You have obviously NOT been arrested and spent the weekend in the Grey Rock Hilton. Or you wouldn't be so casual about this. TRUST ME on this. You would NOT rather be arrested, if you knew what it was like.

Yeah. Sadly, I have spent the night in the drunk tank. You're right...no fun. Trouble isn't my thing, but I would still rather not deal with those people again.

i tried to do the same thing (refuse payment) with a WV ticket i got a few months ago based on the circumstances surrounding it. i recently got a letter from the NC dmv stating i had to pay it by the end of august or my license would be revoked.

ya, south carolina has the crappiest legal stuff down there with tickets and stuff.

tyler

South Carolina will revoke you in a skinny minute. And, since NC and SC are part of the non-resident violator compact guess where else you will be revoked? If you don't take care of the SC ticket, you wont have to worry about a warrant in SC for a traffic charge. You will need to worry about getting stopped in NC on a revoked license which is punishable with a max of 120 days active time in jail. Plus, if you get convicted of DWLR then you are looking at an additional year on your revocation. Ain't worth it, handle you ticket and plow on.

Back