outboard boat engine

jeepyjman

anyone know anything or know a good outboard mechanic? I have a 2003 mercury 50hp 3 cyl and 3 carb setup. I found possibly the worst mechanic and had him go through the system and rebuild the carbs; turns out he didn't. fast forward I got them cleaned out and got it running good. Now the top carb is leaking fuel and I am suspecting the needle and seat. Think its worth while to just pull it apart and inspect the needle and seat and hope it doesn't happen again? (this is the same carb it happened to before) OR take it to a good mechanic so he can tune and sync the carbs?

I'd check the needle and seat on that , carb ...I've got a sync gauge setup , if you near Asheboro, I'll help you out

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I'm no mechanic but I do have an 03 4 stroke outboard w carbs and I would recommend running nothing but non-ethanol gas in your motor even if you add ethanol stabilizer to the tank. I've only used the non E gas w stabilizer for 4 years now and my motor has never started and run as well as it does today. Also 2003 was about when the ethanol BS came around and some vintage hoses will degrade w the alcohol in the E gas and gunk up the carbs etc. I would recommend replacing any old hoses w newer/ethanol friendly ones and installing a fuel/water filter between the tank and motor if you don't have one already.

Last edited:
X2 on the Non eth! & No Old hoses! I found out the Expensive way. Sold my boat, but for several years I used a retired Navy man, that is a Marine Mechanic. He's in Belmont, if you want to travel a little. Just let me know.

I never ran a water/fuel separator, but did stick with Non Eth. First got the boat, it had sat up for 4-5 years. Tried pumping the primer bulb 7 it busted, from dry rot. Replaced the fuel tank line, but had to get the Marine Mechanic to get it running, & safe. Ran for about 3 hours, & nearly died. Back to the mechanic. Inspection showed the carbs & fuel pump, full of black powder. Old rotted lines, being eat up by the Premium Ethanol I had started on. This time mechanic changed all the fuel lines, & told me No more Ethanol!

Back