Outboarded springs on a cj

I have the PSC one. You could fab one up similar.

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v214_nhodierne_cd622251.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v214_nhodierne_f957e853.jpg

imga0014.jpg

i stayed shackle forward and made my brackets out of 4x4x0.25 angle with gussets.

Thanks for the pics. This gives me some ideas. How much wider than stock are ya'lls axles?

grapehead said:
i stayed shackle forward and made my brackets out of 4x4x0.25 angle with gussets.

I was thinking of doing this on my CJ 7. Do you like the shackle forward? I didn't want to go shackle reverse because of the tire traveling backwards toward the jeep. Anyone running shackle reverse have any problems to watch for?

does this allow you to put full widths on with out relocating the perches

cj7jakfitch said:
I was thinking of doing this on my CJ 7. Do you like the shackle forward? I didn't want to go shackle reverse because of the tire traveling backwards toward the jeep. Anyone running shackle reverse have any problems to watch for?

ONly Downside to reversal is when you go full droop, the driveshaft of course gets longer so you may experience driveshaft seperation. The upside is when climbing the axle will move rearward so it's a smoother transition.

tommy_boync said:
does this allow you to put full widths on with out relocating the perches

With full widths on a Jeep CJ YJ the frame isn't as wide as the spring mounting area so, to keep it all lined up you have to outboard the springs in relation to the frame. You can't move the mounting area on the axle because the diff is in the way one one side.

Isn't distance between the spring perches 32" or so on a YJ compared to like 32.5" on a stock chevy setup so you can pretty much just bolt in a full-width chevy?

That I am not sure about, I know full widths went under a scout without having to outboard the springs.

cj7jakfitch said:

I have driveshaft separation problems because of axle wrap in the front. I am going to try a driveshaft with more slip, if that doesn't work I will probably swith back to shackle-forward.

ajbirken said:
Isn't distance between the spring perches 32" or so on a YJ compared to like 32.5" on a stock chevy setup so you can pretty much just bolt in a full-width chevy?

For what it's worth, I just measured my Spring perches on the CJ w/ sackle reversal the other day. 32.25" on center.

FrontPorchFab said:
I have driveshaft separation problems because of axle wrap in the front. I am going to try a driveshaft with more slip, if that doesn't work I will probably swith back to shackle-forward.

I used to have that problem. When I had the half tons under mine I cured it by putting a limiting strap(actually it was a chain) next to the diff housing. cured the problem. When I went one tons I went to a square drive shaft with plenty of travel.

I am building one that looks like the psc kit. How far are the holes in the front mounts spaced down from the frame. Trying to get an idea of how big they need to be.

jeepn-jason said:
I am building one that looks like the psc kit. How far are the holes in the front mounts spaced down from the frame. Trying to get an idea of how big they need to be.

depends on how much lift you want, or don't want to gain, or need.

Trying to keep castor about right. That is my main concern. I figured about
6-7" drop from the frame would be about right.??

Yeah thats what it looks like on noahs cj7. Sorry to hijack fellas!

Back