Paint Prep Question

53flattie

I bought a used Warn rear bumper and tire carrier for my TJ. It has a few blemishes and scratches here and there. I’m not too concerned with it being perfect, but I am going to give the whole thing a light sanding and rattle-can it.

In the past, I have used lacquer thinner, acetone, and paint thinner to clean surfaces after sanding. I’ve experienced mixed results - probably fish-eye more often than not.

Is there a better chemical to clean the surface prior to painting?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm no paint expert, but I'd wipe it down with laquer thinner OR acetone, then after it's thoroughly dry follow it with wax, oil, grease remover then dry before paint. Or if it's not too dirty skip step 1 and just use w,o,g remover then paint. You have to let it dry good before paint, any left to seep out of cracks and crevices will mess up paint.

Fish eye is usually oil or silicone contamination. But it can be caused by the solvent leaching out under the paint too.

Last edited:
If Im not mistaken the duplicolor prep stuff is a wax oil grease remover like I was talking about. Several different companies make the stuff, and it's all similar. It'll even remove silicone residue.

Make sure to fully let the wax,oil, and grease fully dry. Some of those chemicals can take a 30 mins before they are fully evaporated from the surface.

Make sure to fully let the wax,oil, and grease fully dry. Some of those chemicals can take a 30 mins before they are fully evaporated from the surface.

I’m notorious for rushing things because I’m impatient. But I’m going to take my time and try to do it right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I typically use brake parts cleaner to degrease/prep brackets and stuff for paint.

Last edited:
Wax and grease remover,

Scotch brute pad and wire brush,

Wax and grease remover

Then acetone.

I usually also hit with heat gun to warm up the surface and make sure all the chemicals are out of the pores of any bare metal areas before paint.

Back