Pancake compressor popping fuses

mbalbritton

#@$%!
My neighbor picked up a pancake compressor for free and is having an issue with it overloading and turning off. Eventually, after several tries it’ll blow the internal 20amp fuse.

I took a look at it for him and not knowing much about these I would report that the motor spins free and the piston moves freely. All the wiring looks good and nothing burnt. Took the air hose to everything and blew any dust dirt and debris out.

Cleaned the switch as well as around the motor. All looks good, but struggles to run and then shuts off after about 5 seconds.

Only thing I can see is that there seems to be quite a bit of sparks from the brushes. Excessive I would say. I did pull them, clean them off, cleaned the motor side. Nothing different.

Is it just shot?

It took me far too long to understand what you were talking about. My wife just bought a killer waffle maker and made us waffles this morning, so I was totally on that track with a pancake compressor 🤣

Don’t know much about those pancake compressor but does it have a check valve? Is it trying to start with tank pressure against pump? I know I had that problem with my big compressor except it would just burn the belt up.

Don’t know much about those pancake compressor but does it have a check valve? Is it trying to start with tank pressure against pump? I know I had that problem with my big compressor except it would just burn the belt up.
Interesting… yes. Worth trying to hold the pin out and run it I guess.

That would be my guess. Unloader valve gone bad. Possibly a bad capacitor if not the unloader.

Back