Paypal Question

XJfreakHO

Triad Trail Junkies
I am selling a pair of axles. The buyer is in VA and wants the parts delivered.
We have agreed on a price, but I told him I would need a non refundable deposit sent to my paypal account. Which he also agreed to.

Is there anything specific I need to do to ensure this works out? I've spent lots of money on paypal but have never received. Just wanting to cover my bases.

Thanks folks.

If you want to assure it is nonrefundable, tell him to send it family/friends. That can't be disputed.

Will there be fee's with this? Honestly if I lose a few bucks to make sure I am not wasting my time so be it. Guy seems legit. He is on Pirate so not some random Craigslister at least.

I figured also if he sent it as a gift it would not be refundable either because clearly it does not imply a transaction.

Thanks for the help. Lemme know. Supposed to take deposit today and deliver on my day off tomorrow.

Will there be fee's with this? Honestly if I lose a few bucks to make sure I am not wasting my time so be it. Guy seems legit. He is on Pirate so not some random Craigslister at least.

I figured also if he sent it as a gift it would not be refundable either because clearly it does not imply a transaction.

Thanks for the help. Lemme know. Supposed to take deposit today and deliver on my day off tomorrow.
There are no fees with a gift.

There are no fees with a gift.

Yes, I understand that. I just meant that if I used gift instead of friends and family would that be safe and non refundable?

Thanks. I have text messages saved showing he agrees to a nonrefundable deposit. I should be covered. Just clarifying.

Yes, I understand that. I just meant that if I used gift instead of friends and family would that be safe and non refundable?

Thanks. I have text messages saved showing he agrees to a nonrefundable deposit. I should be covered. Just clarifying.
Gift is friends and family. It's the same thing.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Yes, gift and friends/family is the same thing. No fees and nonrefundable.

Why? If he gets a deposit that will cover him, just in case the dude flakes out, what's the harm? Other than some time lost, he will have some cash to show for it. Carry your pistol with you and have at it.

Thats not what i meant. I was being sarcastic

I've sent and received money on Paypal, never had an issue with either. Money you receive will stay in your Paypal balance unless you transfer it to a bank account.

As the seller, why aren't you getting 100% upfront?

I wouldn't touch the axles or the pallet they are going on until I had all the money in the PayPal account.

Also, as the buyer, I would never do the "friends and family" transaction. Especially for used parts.

Yeah, seems like it should be a transaction with fees (buyer pays) and paid in full. That way you get all of your money up front and the buyer has leverage if you don't ship.

Or maybe the op has the deposit to cover his time and effort and if the buyer flakes, no biggie you were compensated.

As the seller, why aren't you getting 100% upfront?

I wouldn't touch the axles or the pallet they are going on until I had all the money in the PayPal account.

Also, as the buyer, I would never do the "friends and family" transaction. Especially for used parts.

As the seller, I feel it is unreasonable to expect full pay upfront since I am delivering not shipping. We have agreed on a price.
I don't jump through hoops unless I have a good feeling about someone. This guy seems to be on the up and up. He has sent the $250 deposit for fuel (and lunch and beers at breweries in his area) so I look at this as a free trip to try some new beer worst case, and best case I've made a new wheeling buddy, sold some parts, and tried some new beers.

The deposit is simply to ensure my time and fuel is covered in the event he flakes out.

better route for the discussion.

It's VA. Lots of us know lots of folks in VA.
Whats his pbb screen name or his real name, chances are if he is in the wheeling community someone here knows him and can vouch for him.

better route for the discussion.

It's VA. Lots of us know lots of folks in VA.
Whats his pbb screen name or his real name, chances are if he is in the wheeling community someone here knows him and can vouch for him.

Socrates on PBB. Michael is his name. I don't normally deliver parts but I really want these gone sooner than later and I always need excuses to try new breweries. So it works out.

Thanks for all the responses folks.
I went to PA for parts last Thursday and know all about VA. Well be leaving around 8 am arriving in Norfolk around noon hit the breweries for a few hours and be back home in time for dinner.

I went to PA for parts last Thursday and know all about VA.

Dude, next time you're passing through here ping me, I'll show you our local independent bewery

Dude, next time you're passing through here ping me, I'll show you our local independent bewery
Wasn't really in your neck of the woods. Shot up 77-79 to Greensburg PA (Home town) to go visit some family graves, went to my favorite childhood pizza joint, headed over to ebensburg pa to pick up the cucv axles for my yj and came back through some narrow mountain roads til I got to 81. Good times. Left the house at 7 am, got home at 2 am the following morning. I'm planning to travel much more for wheeling the next few years though and definitely planning a few trips up north. Eventually I will slide through for a beer. Just don't try to use me as a test subject haha

Last edited:
if you accept the whole sum in the form of a payment, it's really easy or the seller to dispute and then your money is tied up and probably lost. Paypal almost always sides with the buyer. friends/family/gift for non refundable deposit, cash for the rest is the only safe way. I know plenty of people who have been screwed through paypal transactions

Socrates on PBB. Michael is his name. I don't normally deliver parts but I really want these gone sooner than later and I always need excuses to try new breweries. So it works out.

I went to PA for parts last Thursday and know all about VA. Well be leaving around 8 am arriving in Norfolk around noon hit the breweries for a few hours and be back home in time for dinner.

Not sure if you are bringing a trailer or not but if so be prepared for the shittiest parking ever. Norfolk is almost exclusively street parking. Be sure to hit up O'Connor's, Smartmouth, and Rip Rap Co.

Also the exact area of speed traps in on 58 around Emporia. Set cruise at the speed limit and be worry free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No trailer. Left the excursion at home. Threw the axles in a buddy's duramax. Buying his gas and beers. We brought a DD too for the ride back.
Thanks fellas. Ill hit those ones and maybe more!

Back