Pinion Nut Socket

etjeep

I replaced the pinion yoke on the front D60. I bought a regular socket (I forgot what size exactly) to fit the nut, it fit a 3/4" drive. The pinion nut is somewhat rounded by design (why, dunno). Socket works fine except when closer to the yoke, socket is too big and does not fit down in there. Did anyone else run into this problem. I need to get it tighter so I don't lose oil from my diff on inclines.

Is there a special pinion nut socket you need, or did you grind the regular socket, or did you use washers for spacers. Any help/advise would be appreciated. Thanks.

grind the edge if the socket, it is pretty standard, only way i got mine to fit....

I would advise against just cranking on the pinion nut to slow an oil leak...

Glad I wasnt the only one to catch that! Yea, grinding is the only way I know of, I have never found a thin enough socket, even on all the tool trucks.

Rich said:
I would advise against just cranking on the pinion nut to slow an oil leak...

Thats not my purpose. I just can't get it as close as it was when I removed it with my "too big" socket. If I can tighten it down and it still leaks, then I'll put in a new seal and try again. Thanks.

BigWheelBob said:
Glad I wasnt the only one to catch that! Yea, grinding is the only way I know of, I have never found a thin enough socket, even on all the tool trucks.

OK, so 3 people have done this so far and agree that grinding is the only way. I wanted to make sure there was not some other tool I can get before taking the grinder to an otherwise perfectly good socket.

I googled up a pinion nut socket on-line and found some specialty tools, but no prices. Any local sources? If not, I guess I'll take out the grinder. Thanks.

crawlinjp said:
Grind it. It should be a 1 5/16".
That may be it Kevin. I know the biggest socket in my set was 1 1/4" and that was too small for the nut. I just went to Northern and bought a bigger one that fit the nut. Thanks.

BigWheelBob said:

Well if the Snap-on and other tool trucks don't carry such a tool, then grinding it is!

The problem is usually that it's a cheap socket, so they have to put more material in it to make up for marginal metal quality.

A better socket will have thinner walls.

saf-t scissors said:
The problem is usually that it's a cheap socket, so they have to put more material in it to make up for marginal metal quality.

A better socket will have thinner walls.

Good point. I was thinking about that and the key is to grind off as little as possible and keep checking it, go back and grind some more. Then hope it does not break while using.

Back