Poison spider CJ7 cage

Clubbs

Considering the poison spider cage kit for my cj7. Anyone gone this route? I figure there a pretty reputable outfit and for $1,100 it's a decent deal since I have a welder but no bender.

I’d get some quotes from a couple fab shops before you pull the trigger. Nothing wrong with the kit, but you might find that you can get a custom cage for around the same, and be supporting a guy who’s trying to make a living vs a huge company. I don’t remember what the cost was, but @BigClay has a custom cage from a shop and it looks great. I wanna say it was in line with the cost of the kit.

Your still gonna spend $200 in wire/gas/grinder consumable/paint

Again nothing wrong with that, but a few shops may do it for around that.

^ that exactly. I was in a similar situation not too long ago and was able to have a custom cage built by a local shop for about the same $

There isn’t much to chose from in New Bern as far as custom shops.

There are a few good fab shops in NC but you have to travel west.

A few things to think about:
What seats are you running?
What cell?
Stock or flat dash?
Center console?
Harness or belts?
Cage tie-ins?

As far as which route to take, custom all the way. Production cages are built to suit a broad spectrum of configurations but sooner or later (if not immediately), you'll find yourself wanting to redesign a few things to suit your needs. Cages that fit a typical Corbeau SS may not work with Ultras. One designed to contour the stock dash may look hideous if you ever wanted a flat dash. A production cage might work well with a RCI 2161, but is that the only cell you would ever run?
A good fab shop that builds to individual specs will ask certain questions to ensure its exactly what you want. It'll take longer, yes, but at least you won't have to cut it all up two weeks later and spend a few hundred dollars making it perfect.

I hadn't thought a custom cage could be had for under $1,500. that certainly sounds better than welding together a puzzle. I'd be interested in some fab shop recommendations. As rockcity said there isn't much out east here, but I could haul it West for the right fabrication...

My cj is still pretty clean - came from California so it hasn't rotted away. Still has all her original metal in good shape so there wouldn't be any body panel work required to weld in a cage.

@M&M Offroad is in mocksville,
@MarsFab in Harrisburg
Buckeye is excellent, but all the way in Asheville. Very much worth the drive however.

Also Cutler Fab in Mt Airy. @mcutler but I do believe is very busy.

Any of the names mentioned can do a killer cage down to a basic but safe cage addition. As to price, that will be up to them. A lot of value in putting a face with a name to the people on here though! Some of the best folks I know are on this forum and I’m lucky to have met them!

Back