Pole barn kits

awheelterd

I've searched but haven't really seen the answer I'm looking for. Is there a particular kit that is better than others? I've looked at Strouds, R&R, builders discount etc, and can't tell much difference in any of the kits. Does one have better insulation, better gauge metal, better trim fitment, better metal termination at the ground or are they all pretty much the same?

R&R has a connection with @braxton357 so take that for what its worth :laughing:

Another plug for R&R. Great folks to work with.

I got one quoted by R&R a few months back. By far the most knowledgeable and flexible when it comes to a custom pole barn. Hoping to pull the trigger sometime in 2022.
What Im most concerned with is how the metal terminates at the bottom and how the trim fitment is. Do they just use regular panels that are open at the bottom or are they crimped off to keep rodents out. I wonder about the insulation quality as well. I has hoping some folks on here actually had completed buildings from different folks.

What Im most concerned with is how the metal terminates at the bottom and how the trim fitment is. Do they just use regular panels that are open at the bottom or are they crimped off to keep rodents out. I wonder about the insulation quality as well. I has hoping some folks on here actually had completed buildings from different folks.

My quote has the rat guard on it. I assume it screws onto the bottom panels to trim it out.

Can’t speak to the insulation. I’m just looking at a 3 sided building as a hay/storage shed.

DDD355A9-DEB4-45A7-ADEC-8E7C77ADB361.png

They also make foam strips that match the panel profile which go behind the panels at the top and bottom terminations.
Screenshot_20220102-214041_Chrome.jpg

They also make foam strips that match the panel profile which go behind the panels at the top and bottom terminations.
View attachment 364432
These are not what I was hoping for. They might be fine on roofs but I would not want them on ground level. A rat followed by a snake would be through that thing in a second...

These are not what I was hoping for. They might be fine on roofs but I would not want them on ground level. A rat followed by a snake would be through that thing in a second...

Those are called closures. Much needed for energy efficiency. I’ve used these closures along with a bottom trim (rat guard). I’ve even used a drip edge to achieve the same thing. I’ve also trimmed metal flashing to fit the profile.

Lots of solutions.

The bottom of the panel basically rests on the flat plane of the rat guard, so unless the rat is about 1/8" or less, it can't fit through the gap. That combined with the closure strip makes it pretty well sealed and insect/rodent proof.

The bottom of the panel basically rests on the flat plane of the rat guard, so unless the rat is about 1/8" or less, it can't fit through the gap. That combined with the closure strip makes it pretty well sealed and insect/rodent proof.
Oh yeah, I get that. I thought you were saying that just those strips were a suitable substitute for the metal rat guard.

Oh yeah, I get that. I thought you were saying that just those strips were a suitable substitute for the metal rat guard.
Well, for some people it's probably a suitable substitute :laughing:

Those are called closures. Much needed for energy efficiency. I’ve used these closures along with a bottom trim (rat guard). I’ve even used a drip edge to achieve the same thing. I’ve also trimmed metal flashing to fit the profile.

Lots of solutions.
Well come build me a pole barn the right way when ECU puts y'all virtual. Or better yet, bring a bunch of college kids up here and build me a building with free labor as a hands on project. We can show them how to drink beer and grill chicken wings 😅

I hate to sound like an advertisement but I've messed with a lot of these, both Stroud and rr. Out of your list, r&r is the only one that manufacturers their buildings. All metal and all trusses are built by them here in NC. They have their posts "farm spec" cca treated to last lifetime and buy the rest of the lumber in bulk. You'll have a hard time finding a better price on a building kit. Their trusses aren't built in and designed for being in the Deep South, you can easily see they are built to take more roof load.

And last but not least in my opinion in the most important probably is being they're right here and build their own buildings, they can customize them however you want and I've seen some crazy shit drawn up and built. They also make mistakes just like everyone else and instead of waiting a month to get it fixed because you're buying from a reseller, it takes a day. Same with me making mistakes, it's right here, several times have screwed up a roof panel only to have a replacement ready in an hr or run out of screws or needed a piece of trim to be 13ft instead of 10 or a truss modified.
Anyways, that's my opinion. Also my opinion is you're never going to completely keep mice out of a building, even the most efficient up to date modern homes can't keep them out.

I don't know if this borders on needing a yellow star but just talked to Justion at R&R on the phone and while discount codes isn't really a thing they do, if you mention nc4x4 he'll take $250 off a standing roof and $500 off a complete building kit.

So for those of us not in the know who is R & R? I googled and lot's of different things came up.

Back