POWER STROKE CUTS OFF

sam(slim)

Has anyone had a problem with a power stroke cuting off after a few min of running? It's an 03 model. Starts fine but after a few min it will die. I will put a new fuel filter in it when I get to the shop and see if that helps.

Sam(slim)

greg slade said:
the cam positioning sensor is notorious for going bad if your truck has the 7.3.

Ditto. If your truck just shuts off with no warning, its the CPS. Be prepared, they are pricey. Go to an International parts supply and get a CPS for a T444E (serial # 1825899-C93), its a little cheaper and the exact same thing.

StudNuts said:
Ditto. If your truck just shuts off with no warning, its the CPS. Be prepared, they are pricey. Go to an International parts supply and get a CPS for a T444E (serial # 1825899-C93), its a little cheaper and the exact same thing.

Buddy had one, fram filter started leaking, got low on oil and shut down. Apparently the high pressure oil pump pickup for the injectors is higher than the regular oil pump. Clever bit of engineering there. Check the oil, if its over 3 quarts low, that might be it. :beer:

It's my buds truck. I changed the filter and it started running fine for a little bit. Took it for a test drive and made it about a mile before it shut off again. It cranked back up after a few min. and then it ran fine for the rest of the way home (about 10 miles). The next morning it done the same thing again.
Whould the Cam Positioning sensor be covered under the 100K warranty?

Thanks for the help

I had mine replaced under the powerstroke warranty, you do know the powerstroke warranty has a $100 deductible. Mine was doing something similar, it wasn't the CPS. It was the injector control module, also covered. That was about a $700 part.

ths CPS is only a hundred bucks and takes two minutes to change. I keep a spare in the glovebox for just this reason.

greg slade said:
ths CPS is only a hundred bucks and takes two minutes to change. I keep a spare in the glovebox for just this reason.

Where the hell are you getting them for a hundred bucks?

Check out shopdiesel.com, I think I paid $130 for my spare.
They have low prices on everything.

I dont know if you figured it out yet, and I dont know if this will help but my 04 6.0 had a recall on the wiring harness under the hood wich caused it to rev up and down and cut off.

Back