Pressure Washers

viper red cj-7

Ok, need your thoughts on pressure washers.
My old one died. it was a Briggs that I purchased from Lowes about 8-10 years ago.

Used for around the house cleaning- sidewalk, driveway, stuff like that....used maybe twice per year ....- Not what I would remotely consider HD stuff...

Gas vs Electric...what GPM do I really need?

Brands to avoid..

thanks!
Brian

I have a Toro brand from lowes that's about 5 years old.The cam broke last week when I was washing the truck.From what Ive read its pretty common on briggs motors that have a plastic cam in them.

I have one with a Honda engine I got at Home Depot a few years ago. I think it’s a Ryobi. It’s been a good one, and it’s easy to start.

Mine is from Northern haven’t tried to start it yet this year, but it’s done well, have had for about 10years. Honda powered. Have had to clean the carb a few times, but other than that’s been solid.

My last washer came from Lowes. Honda engine, with somewhere near 2700 psi. Rubber 25' hose, quite, smooth, ran a few years, until the pump craped out. I bought a new Northern Powerhorse, 3100 psi, plastic 30-35' hose. Chinese motor, like Harbor Freight, same sound as Honda, but pump [guessing], Vibrates. That thing will spin a circle! It's Not the cheapest, as a Salesman told me the cheapest had 1 yr. warranty. This is next step up, & a 4 year warranty. I've had no problems with it, but really preferred the Honda. I had bought a new pump for the Honda, after I found out I could get it for $125. Until I sold it, to a member here, I used it twice as much as the Powerhorse! As for electric, I have used them too. Around the 1500psi range. If electric power is convenient, & maybe a HD extension cord, they will do great. Until they die. Definetly a throw-a-way, but under $100! They too come with a 20' plastic hose, & most have a wand that adjust the spray, instead of changing the nozzles. Seems to me, like batteries, there are just a couple companies that make all the pressure washers, & just put different labels on them. Engines can vary, but the pumps are all the same other than a few different psi's. For your needs, I'd say 1250 - 2000 psi, is all you need. Just check prices & warranty's at your favorite stores, & choose. Probably everybody sells Extended warranty's now. PS:, I keep meaning to buy a Rubber pressure hose for mine! I hate that damn Plastic hose, that you can't curl/roll up!

Never owned an electric one, but have used one. It was weak, maybe it was worn out, but I tend to believe that if you want to make any sort of power you have to burn something to get it done.

Now before someone gets all sensitive - I like to take care of the environment and all too. That's why a drive a diesel that doesn't have to get plugged into the coal fired steam turbine power plant at the edge of town just to make it to Walmart half way into town before it needs to be plugged in again to come home.

Now I'm going to go for a drive and burn more of those high energy dead dinosaurs.

“craftsman” from Lowe’s with the Honda engine. Been going solid for almost two years. Mainly used to wash the dirt bike and SxS but it spends a lot of time on the farm cleaning equipment too.

I washed about 800 tobacco baskets in one summer w mine.Plus a mountain of parts,our enclosed trailers and all our vehicles over the years so I guess I got my $$ worth out of it.

If your considering Electric, this just popped up on FB.

1600 PSI / 1.3 GPM - 13A ELECTRIC PRESSURE WASHER​

Item
WG604

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆4.7 out of 5 stars. Read reviews. 1600 PSI / 1.3 GPM - 13A Electric Pressure Washer
(85)
3 YEAR WARRANTY

30 DAY GUARANTEE
$169.99
I've owned 2 Worx string trimmers, a chain saw, & their batteries & quality just keeps getting better. My Brother has the trimmer & a couple other Worx products. They get Positive reviews! 1600 PSI, will do more than wash dishes & pollen. Just putting this out for notice. There products are also shipped from Charlotte, NC.

I’ve been toying with idea of building an electric one. I have a 5HP motor with nothing to do. All I need to do is catch up on all of my other projects and buy a pump.

Good information...I'll search some more. My other issue is I already have an extra long hose, although it's made of that hard plastic and another set of tips and wands.....I may just go back to what I had- from what I see, 8+ years and I've probably gotten my money out of it....
Sound reasonable?

I rolled out my vibrator yesterday, & cleaned up all the past 6 months tree & mildew shitt, from my trailer. Remember earlier I said my newish Northern washer, vibrated? Here's a pic of it. I've been running a stick through the 2 tires, to lock them together. Notice the black spot & drag looking place, next to the washer? That is from the washer spinning 180*, from where it started. It's not the motor, it's the pump! Thinking more about it, the older washer had a large manifold/pressure control, off the back of the pump. I think that probably smoothed out the pumping vibrations. This new pump, doesn't have that. Seems they cut corners, saved some coin, & made more $$.

Attachments

• IMG_20210313_155343486_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210313_155343486_HDR.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 111
I have a bad ass pressure washer from Northern. I bought it around 1997 for a big job where I had to clean up a general contractors mess for one of my customers. GPM is very important with a commercial unit. Mine is something like 4or 5 GPM and 3500 PSI. It was $1600 new back then. Northern really does know their stuff on pressure washers. There's also a company in Indian Trail that sells pressure washers and supplies if youre going the commercial route http://www.cscsales.com/

Back