Project Grinch

fsj80

The base:

1975 IH Scout II
345 V8
TF727 tranny
Dana20 transfer case
Dana 44's front and rear (disk front, drum rear)
Warn HD winch bumper and 8274 winch

How it looked when I got it

DSCF1569.jpg

DSCF1570.jpg

DSCF1577.jpg

engine02.jpg

Then I bought a Rough Country 4" suspension lift and some used Kumho 33" MT tires. Houdini and OnlyOneDR graciously offered to help install the lift.

Install pics

33" pre-lift
102_1316.jpg

33" pre-lift
102_1315.jpg

Houdini working the rear while I tackle the front
102_1319.jpg

102_1323.jpg

36.5" post-lift
102_1326.jpg

36" post-lift
102_1327.jpg

Then I took it to Lewis Tire and got the Kumho's mounted, extended brake lines and a new Holley 2300 installed. Then OnlyOneDR towed it to my house (where it was promptly given the name Grinch because it was around Christmas and the wifey was not impressed).

How it looked then

passside01.jpg

passside02.jpg

(Yes, my dog's were trying to show me that the Grinch was their's. I may pee on the tires one of these days to show them who's boss)

interior02.jpg

Picked up a set of Dana44's from ncgamedog and took them over to Chase, where he installed 4.10's front and rear and a Detroit in the rear and an Aussie in the front and got me some new Alloy X-joints. OnlyOneDR dragged them to my house and I slowly cleaned them up, painted them, slowly put new brake pads/calipers/rotors and all new rear brake components, new Warn Premium hubs on and slowly got them installed (pics to follow).

Also got some tubing and Chevy 1/2 ton tie rod ends from Scoutosis and took them to sharksanddanger to work his magic. Once I finally got them back, I painted them and promptly installed them (different frame of mind than the SLOWLY part earlier)

All that is left is getting the brakes bled, new wiper arms, and driveway alignment, then back to Lewis Tire to get inspected, better alignment and the brakes checked.

Future plans to be displayed soon: drag it to sharksanddanger and have him install a full cage, and replace the rusty floorboards/rocker panels with 2x6" box tubing. Might have him boatside while he is at it and definitely have him repair some rusty body mount sections. I will have him take pics of his sweet welds.

Future plans to be displayed at a later date: plan to do a SOA with one tons, custom winch bumper, and stuff 35-37's on her in late 2010/early 2011. I also plan on eventually replacing the tired 345 with either a SBC or SBF, run an OD auto tranny, and either a crawler-geared single x-case or a 203/205 doubler. Just have to decide if I am going to do the SOA first or wait.

Cant wait to see your progress, Scouts are one of my favorite vehicles. If i had found a scout before my 72 K5 i would have bought that as my project.

Thanks guys. It has been slowly coming along (kids and job take up most of my time) but is almost there. Just gotta get sharksanddanger to quit being a slacker (I kid, I kid).

Cant wait to see your progress, Scouts are one of my favorite vehicles. If i had found a scout before my 72 K5 i would have bought that as my project.

And I love the early Blazers like yours a little more than Scouts. If I could have found one in comparable shape to the Scout for around the same money, I would be posting about it instead. Oh, the irony.

Good to see this thread. Sounds like you're close to popping Grinch's cherry. Let me know when you plan to take it out for the maiden voyage.

Hoping to make it to the next weekends show in Raleigh with the Grinch, Jeff. Thanks again for all your help and guidance on this.

nice looking scout man! id love to stop by sometime while yall are working on it and lend a hand.

hey I dont know where claton is but I live in banner elk and have lots of scout stuff. Dash pad, knob, heatersX2 wheels I think, and other bs if you want let me know and I will get out of the scrap truck for free just come get! A slightly bent top fixable the wind took it off.. Doors that are better than yours etc.... seats in good shape......

bryan

hey I dont know where claton is but I live in banner elk and have lots of scout stuff. Dash pad, knob, heatersX2 wheels I think, and other bs if you want let me know and I will get out of the scrap truck for free just come get! A slightly bent top fixable the wind took it off.. Doors that are better than yours etc.... seats in good shape......
bryan

Bryan,

Cool. Even though Clayton is SE of Raleigh, I travel to your side of the state quite often to visit our education center in Pisgah and numerous depots. I will send you a list of some of the things I need (almost definitely the doors and seats) and if you have it, I will arrange my schedule to pay you a visit. THANKS!!

Wayne

Back