Project Lazarus..

Did some research and my draw may be gone. The thing I was experiencing might have been due to how I was testing with the negative battery off through a test light. Will recharge the batter and test with a multi-meter for actual amps from positive.

Last edited:
Ok so two days and 95 miles and CEL is back. I thought I have the evap figured out. Found a vacuum line not connected to the intake. So back at trying to figure out all theses issues.
7B07B75E-E7DB-4D2E-93BD-11F73B0BF96A.png

Slow day at work when your truck's in the shop and the other 2 need drivers.... So I bought one of these:

Did a smoke test and the only place I see smoke is from the filter.

CDE62047-D74E-4F2C-B12C-EF8A285315D0.jpeg
20AEE5E6-7D4E-42CB-B663-948D03CB0AF3.jpeg

Is that supposed to be a one way type filter?

Ok so new o2 sensor installed an new evap filter. Drove to Walyworld last night to get a few things and when I left she would not start. Tried jumping it. Got my neighbor to go back with me and another battery from my other jeep. Nothing. So I noticed smoke from the starter while attempting the hammer trick. Went to O'reillys and got a starter and swapped in the parking lot. Boom she fired right up. While under there I noticed it looks like the oil pressure sending unit was leaking oil on the starter. So reseal? If so with teflon tape? Or just replace it?

Small update. Replaced the oil sending unit too. Been driving it regular. Made a couple trips to Hartsville and back. One take of fuel with no CEL! I probably just jinxed myself! 196.7 miles and 13.0 MPG :driver:
o_O So is 13 low for a TJ auto with stock gears and 31's normal? My F250 with the 7.3 Godzilla is a little better than that!

Small update. Replaced the oil sending unit too. Been driving it regular. Made a couple trips to Hartsville and back. One take of fuel with no CEL! I probably just jinxed myself! 196.7 miles and 13.0 MPG :driver:
o_O So is 13 low for a TJ auto with stock gears and 31's normal? My F250 with the 7.3 Godzilla is a little better than that!
I’d say 13-14 is probably normal with an auto. Mine gets 13-14 on 37’s with a 6 speed.

So I guess I jinxed myself. Little over 300 miles later and the evap code is back and the misfire moved.
2F63392C-918A-4422-BD87-B6D7D1BEB4D8.png

So pulled out the ole smoke machine and tried to see what I could find.
2ABE079C-1F8E-450A-B2AF-89C746E174C2.jpeg

Some test and observations. this is only the second time playing with this machine. At first it was smoking from the input. So I tightened that up. No more smoke. Then I let it sit a while. No smoke. So I unplugged the bottom line from the charcoal canister. It smoked. I unplugged the top line. Nothing. Last time it was coming out the filter so I covered it in plastic to stop that. Which means there was smoke making it into the LDP. To test the line to the tank I plugged the machine direct into it and no leak. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Unplug the purge solenoid, start it up, let the smoke machine pump. That'll help.
You're gonna find a small rubber hose leaking somewhere.
I was the EVAP leak dooder tech at my dealer.
Is the gas gap a quality one or a random parts store junker?

Unplug the purge solenoid, start it up, let the smoke machine pump. That'll help.
You're gonna find a small rubber hose leaking somewhere.
I was the EVAP leak dooder tech at my dealer.
Is the gas gap a quality one or a random parts store junker?
Let the machine pump while it's running? O ring on gas cap looked fine.

So I have not updated this because a while ago one of my twins wrecked his car. His brother sold him his which was the same and he bought this. Still in the family but just not in my yard anymore. Maybe in the next year I can start my hunt for a manual LJ. So my question: He is wanting to upgrade the rear to a TJ/LJ D44 with disc brakes. Goal is bolt in since it's his DD. What do they go for?

Back