Project M.D.K

mitsokid

Hey everyone. Bought a 1985 Reg. Cab, LWB toyota. I'm picking it up tomorrow and I'll post up some pics.

Current Mods:
22RE Swap
4.5" lift (pro-comp rear, tuff country front, no blocks)
15x10 aluminum eagle's
35/12.50 Baja Claws that are badly worn
and a makeshift flatbed but it works.
Interior is gutted
and Trail-Gear sliders

Plans:
1. Fix interior ( Mostly Complete )
2. New(ish) tires ( Complete )
3. 5.29's with locked rear ( Complete )
4. Crossover Steering (Complete )
5. New Front Suspension ( Complete )
6. Exo-Cage
7. 5-Speed and Dual Cases
8. 4-Link Rear

I have alot more planned but that is what I would like to get done by springtime.

Project M.D.K is a GO!

Stupid me went to the shop today and forgot the camera so no pics but I did get some dimensions to design an exo. I figured that would be a good sunday project

Here's a quick design I made up using the Trail-Gear RockRails that are already installed on the truck and tying the cab cage into the frame.

ai209.photobucket.com_albums_bb64_350z_photos_Bend_Pro_85ToyotaExo.jpg

ai209.photobucket.com_albums_bb64_350z_photos_Bend_Pro_85ToyotaExo2.jpg

ai209.photobucket.com_albums_bb64_350z_photos_Bend_Pro_85ToyotaExo3.jpg

ai209.photobucket.com_albums_bb64_350z_photos_Bend_Pro_85ToyotaExo4.jpg

ai209.photobucket.com_albums_bb64_350z_photos_Bend_Pro_85ToyotaExo5.jpg

ai209.photobucket.com_albums_bb64_350z_photos_Bend_Pro_85ToyotaExo6.jpg

ai209.photobucket.com_albums_bb64_350z_photos_Bend_Pro_85ToyotaExo7.jpg

ai209.photobucket.com_albums_bb64_350z_photos_Bend_Pro_85ToyotaExo8.jpg

Your first problem...you paid WAAAYY too much for MSPaint. :)

Shut it, i didn't feel like cropping so I just used MS Snipping Tool to get screenshot's.. :flipoff2:

I'm taking that all back to the drawing board. I got to looking at it and I didn't like it and I was reading the angle's and something didn't seem right.

so. transmission is in and working and so is the transfer case. the locking hubs are working except for a small problem on the left side. Its making a strange crackling noise that I'm not too fond of. Oh and I wired up a custom switchboard. not done with it yet but I'll post pics soon

niiice so you did buy this. that truck looks alot cleaner then i thought it was. you gonna rock the flatbed for now?

yea im going to keep the flatbed. i've got to replace the cap and rotor tomorrow, its messing up the ignition. i drained the gas and cleaned the injectors, should run a bit better.

The flatbed is so cheap, I'll get rid of it eventually but it should last me through the winter.

Seems to me you got an extra pedal in there for that automatic trans...:flipoff2:

I have a little somthing to go with that pedal, but I'm not sure what I want to do. A $550 dual case adapter for an auto is kinda killing it for me :shaking:

Sorry for the horrible cell phone pics. Blackberry's suck sometimes. Here's Jeff's front bumper mounted up on my truck, looks good and it fits good so I think I might go ahead and take it off his hands :flipoff2:

ai209.photobucket.com_albums_bb64_350z_photos_85_20Toyota_20Project_IMG00051.jpg

If I do get it I'm probably going to add a stinger to it and definitely a Hoss fairlead and winch with a couple lights. Other then that it's stout as just about any other bumper I've installed

ai209.photobucket.com_albums_bb64_350z_photos_85_20Toyota_20Project_IMG00049.jpg

ai209.photobucket.com_albums_bb64_350z_photos_85_20Toyota_20Project_IMG00050.jpg

a couple weeks ago. new project for this winter.

so. relocating the gas tank today and modifying the bed until some tube shows up. Ill post pics later

Made good progress today. Just finished up. About another 5 hours of work and everything should be set. I need to get a spare tire to mount up and some more 2x10's to make the bed out of but other then that I'm good.

Any suggestions for adding weight to the back of a flatbed?

I'll post pics tomorrow when everything is finished up

nice,sounds good yeah i still gotta lot to do to mine well
i was tryin to do it before it started snowing,as for adding weight
im not too sure mine needs some too,i guess you could try and replace the wood with
some metal? or something like that.
oh and i made a spare tire holder for like 8 bucks....but it's for bed sides....

picked up some 37's today. they are pretty worn down but should do decent offroad if I air them down.

I'm hoping to get some 35" KM1's.. I know mud terrains are not good in snow but from my experience neither are A/T's. Actually I have never made it up my driveway with A/T's because the tires just clog with snow and don't seem to clean so maybe the M/T's with the larger gaps in the tread blocks.

Either way I'm going to a bigger tire. Think I'll need to trim the fenders for a 35?

You must have one helluva steep driveway! And as far as snow tires, you WANT them the clog with snow. It means they are sticking to the snow, giving you traction. In mud, you want them to clear out to dig more mud and get it out of your way. BFG AT is one of the best snow tires out there. I can drive my 2wd 4runner places in the snow with BFG AT's that 4wds with lesser tires can't go.

Nice looking truck by the way.

I do, its up a long dirt and gravel road and my driveway is cut out of a mountain and goes vertical for about 200ft up at Beech.

The A/T's have never done well on either my mom's H2 when I put it on there or on my H1. I actually find the Truxs STS tires to be on of the best. That's what I'm mounting up on the hummer today.

Thanks I'm hoping to make this truck look and wheel good. The cab's in pretty good shape. I just need to get it running right

^thanks^

well i finally bit the bullet, bought the Nitro 5.29's with master install kits and lockrite lockers. I'm hoping to get in installed all by wednesday.

As for other progress, by tomorrow nigh I should have the entire interior herculined and put back together on monday with quick release door mods.. The dash and sound system are an ongoing project but coming together. I finally got a headunit working and the heater is working after a small short circuit and main harness meltdown.

I'll post pics when possible next week

a full days work and this is the result after 2 coats. I ended up with 4 all over the interior and 2 in the jambs.

ai209.photobucket.com_albums_bb64_350z_photos_014_6.jpg

011-2.jpg

ai209.photobucket.com_albums_bb64_350z_photos_015_5.jpg

012-3.jpg

ai209.photobucket.com_albums_bb64_350z_photos_017_3.jpg

ai209.photobucket.com_albums_bb64_350z_photos_018_2.jpg

Thanks to Russell at Kelley Bro's I got my 5.29's and locker installed on time.

Gotta say I can't believe this isn't the first thing I did, it drives so awesome now. Time to beef up the brakes, I think I had a rear drum cylinder blowout but in the short time I drove it with the 5.29's it felt great.

Tomorrow Should be another good day for the truck and I'll post up some more pics when I can

the seats are out of a 2005 Mitsubushi Evolution 8. It's my race car build that's been on hold for over a year. The chassis got a little messed up. I put Sparco 1-Peice FIA seats in it and took these out and I figured I would use them instead of letting them sit.

The drivers side doesn't have a slider and because of that it sits 2.2" lower then the passenger seat so if your over 6ft and want to use the sliders its a tough squeeze

A worn out set can be had for around $300-$400. A new set is over $2k. They hold you in awesome and fit a 3" harness very well with lots of padding and shock absorbtion material for rally racing

Back