project wtf

bh1075

PROJECT CJ

For lack of a better name right now im going with my moms first words when when she saw it. What The F(you know)k was you thinkin gettin that.
After alot of bs and drama on my end I finally made it up to pick up the new toy this past sunday.
Right now its spring over on 35's
later on down the road ????
Right now its gonna be wheeled and drove on the streets and built more and more over the summer as funds come in. Hoping buy this time next year to have it four linked in the rear and sittin on some 40's. Thinkin about leaving the springs up front and reversing them.
Not really sure what combination of parts im using but I plan
* V8 engine swap
* Full width axles
* Four link rear
* Plenty of tube work
* Paint
* and tons or other odds and ends

Ill try and post up weekly with progress.
View attachment 89948
View attachment 89949
View attachment 89950
View attachment 89951

What is the front bumper from?

its was made from electrical piping (so I was told) and was on it when I got it. Its kinda growing on me.

oh....It kinda looks like it was made for a cherokee or something....by the look of the sides

Gotta love trips to walmart. Go in for some spray paint and come out with a buggy load. Decided I would be better of making a new harness for the tail lights and reverse lights then mess with the old one.

Nothing fancy
View attachment 89952
Plan on going to some flush mount lights in the near future, but im gonna use what came with it for now.

Bought several cans of olive drab, hopefully get around to that tomorrow if weather permits.

You will be happier if you quit counting what you have in it. You'll enjoy it more playing ignorance to how much you have in it! LOL

You will be happier if you quit counting what you have in it. You'll enjoy it more playing ignorance to how much you have in it! LOL

im not gonna cry over the money. I know they number will grow alot over the next few months. I will most likely stop once the real work begins. So far its just been stuff to get it going.

good luck with the build, look forward to seeing it happen!

copycat:flipoff2:

yeah I know along with the other 100 jeeps around here thats OD. Im gonna do something else with it just not sure what.

OK im lookin to start on the cage within the next few days. This will be a first for me but ive read up on the subject. Heres what I got in mind. . . (and I done it in paint so it sucks, I miss having cad)

in the angled shot the blue is whats there already(2 1/4) and the rest is what I plan on adding (also 2 1/4) except for the yellow. I want to use 2" or less on the two side bars for clearance issues and for the grab bars in the top corners.

View attachment 89954

Whats do the experts say? Also best place to buy tube?? I figure i'll need 45' of 2 1/4 and 15' of the other.

Jeep looks good in od green. For the record thats the only bumper I have ever made and its from galv .125 wall pipe. I would have to say the dollar amount will worry you. What I do is put all my receipt's in a box and never let my wife see them. Good luck with the build.

If that hard top is for the cj5 and in decent shape its worth what you paid for the jeep! Put it up for sale on the jeeps unlimited board for $1200 and you might have a free jeep! Hard tops for the cj5's are kinda rare and hard to find.

I wouldnt base my cage off the stock rollbar, but thats just me... Also, you arent gonna like the price of 2.25" tube, and will have trouble bending it... I would stick with 1.5" or 1.75"

also, if you have the stock ebrake pedal, you probly wont be able to use it anymore when you put in your cage (unless you plan for that area when bending tube)

If that hard top is for the cj5 and in decent shape its worth what you paid for the jeep! Put it up for sale on the jeeps unlimited board for $1200 and you might have a free jeep! Hard tops for the cj5's are kinda rare and hard to find.

Im not sure I havent had any help around to set it up on it. I was lookin through the 4wheelparts off road adventures and saw this j24h and thats what thetop looks like.

Jeep looks good in od green. For the record thats the only bumper I have ever made and its from galv .125 wall pipe. I would have to say the dollar amount will worry you. What I do is put all my receipt's in a box and never let my wife see them. Good luck with the build.

First time I saw the bumper I wasnt sure, but its deff stayin on there. May even make one without the stinger for the rear.

I wouldnt base my cage off the stock rollbar, but thats just me... Also, you arent gonna like the price of 2.25" tube, and will have trouble bending it... I would stick with 1.5" or 1.75"

also, if you have the stock ebrake pedal, you probly wont be able to use it anymore when you put in your cage (unless you plan for that area when bending tube)

I can get 1.75 $35/ per 20' stick so that is taken care of. Now why not tie in to the factory bar? Wouldnt it be the same if I took it out and made a new hoop in the same place?

and I didnt say it earlier but it will be tied in to the frame not just floor.

I would add one or both of the red bars shown in the pic below.

Attachments

• Dude's cage.jpg
    Dude's cage.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 555
Otherwise, the whole cage can fold to the side.

Attachments

• Bent Jeep cage.jpg
    Bent Jeep cage.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 537
I have built a couple working off the factory cage. Nothing wrong with it at all, but it is very little more work to build entire cage from scratch, then it will be all uniform and same size tubing. Definately need the red bars in or some type of cross bracing.

Back