Proper Mainshaft for T150

MattRRT

Can anyone tell me if this is the proper mainshaft for a T150?

It was in a Chevy 250 and rebuilt for that engine. I am now putting it on the AMC 304 with the correct bell housing. It is FIGHTING me.

The pilot bearing and clutch fit. Everything seems to measure up correctly.

Attachments

• tempImageijeiCq.png
    tempImageijeiCq.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 48
Did you use a clutch alignment tool?

Hard to tell from the photo if the shaft looks right not. length form face of trans to splines and to end of input shaft. then from bellhousing to clutch splines on clutch and to inside of pilot bearing, As well as diameters and spline counts. hard to say.

Did you use a clutch alignment tool?

Hard to tell from the photo if the shaft looks right not. length form face of trans to splines and to end of input shaft. then from bellhousing to clutch splines on clutch and to inside of pilot bearing, As well as diameters and spline counts. hard to say.
Yes I used it, then I cross checked the clutch splines, depth, pilot bearing measurements.

Assuming you
- fit the pilot bushing on to the input shaft
- used the alignment tool
- Made sure there was no bullshit in the behind the pilot bushing
- double checked all measurements
Confirmed correct parts, clutch, bell housing, flywheel, throw out bearing, etc.
- and all parts are properly fit and seated.
Sometimes they’re just a bitch.

The input shaft looks right. The nipple looks a little long to me, but it’s been awhile since I’ve seen one. Looking at online images, it looks right. But without actual dims…

What’s the issue you’re running into?

Chevy and AMC had different pilot bushings. Chevy was a little under 0.600 and AMC is around 0.675. Could be an issue there.

Chevy would have had a 10 spline 1 1/8" clutch. AMC up to 79 used a 10 spline 1 1/16". Later models used the 1 1/8 clutch, but no T150's after 79.

You didn't mention how close you get to mating up to bellhousing. Several inches away would most likely be a problem with the clutch splines or possibly the throw out bearing sliding onto the bearing retainer. Anywhere from a 1/2" to an inch would point to a pilot bearing or line up issue. If it is the last 1/4 to 3/8, that is probably the bearing retainer hitting the bellhousing.

Back