Pure Diesel - Kernersville, NC

rcalexander105

JV Wheeler
Oftentimes folks share stories to rant but I want to take a few to do the opposite.

Cliff notes: if you're looking to a top-notch diesel shop in the Triad area, look no further than Pure Diesel in Kernersville.

I had heard about Pure Diesel from my BIL, @Jacob smith, a while ago as he knows the guys up there pretty good from Parks Chevy, but for whatever reason I got the impression they were a bro-dozer shop selling parts to flat bills and just putting hot tunes on trucks (admittedly, totally unwarranted on my part and I couldn't have been more wrong). I knew 6.0 PSDs were finicky so I wanted to take it somewhere that was well-versed in them. I ended up having some work done at another shop (which shall remain nameless) after talking w/ a few folks on here. They did some work for me and nothing appeared to be wrong, but I also got somewhat of a feeling they might cut corners where they thought they could (this was after talking w/ a few folks on here AND going to the shop personally and talking with the owner). This was about 9ish months ago after my stock radiator cracked at the top plastic piece (known failure point on these trucks). I was able to diagnose, bought the parts I wanted (Mishy radiator, coolant filter and a few other things) and had said shop install it all for me.

Nevertheless, fast forward to a few weeks ago after we got back from the Ranch and I pulled in the driveway and noticed coolant dripping. I initially thought the worst (head gaskets) and started looking around but didn't have the time or the proper tools to really delve in and diagnose (pressure test cooling system) more than just looking around. Then I got to thinking and thought maybe there was some negligence from prior shop so I decided I didn't want them working on my truck anymore.

By this time, I knew Derek (@D2320M) had some work done on his 24v Cummins at Pure Diesel and he spoke highly of them. In fact, he had some stuff done and then something else messed up and, if I recall correctly, they treated him right on the next go around (he and / or others can fill in the details on this). Derek basically told me to go and I wouldn't be disappointed.

Then, Phillip (@77GreenMachine) let me know that his buddy Curt (@Curtis_H) had some work done there as well and was very pleased. So, I decided I'd give them a call.

I called Adam, the owner, the following day which was a Monday, told him what was going on and he said they were about a week and a half out but feel free to bring it by and they will get on it asap. I rolled up the next morning and BOY WAS I WRONG about being a bro-dozer shop. There were PSDs, Cummins and Duramax's EVERYWHERE!! Cabs off, engines out...I mean, these guys were gettin' after it! There were even a decent amount of service trucks, flat beds, car haulers, etc. for fleet related stuff for guys making a living using their diesels. At this point, I was like "dang, these guys certainly look like they got it going on and know their stuff" and I felt super confident.

Fast forward to the following Monday, Adam called me at like 8:30a and said "hey man, your truck needs a water pump". Needless to say, I was relieved the cab wasn't coming off! I told him to do it to it and he called me back before noon and said it was ready to be picked up. I rolled back up about 4:45p and went in to pay. Before I did though, I noticed a Porsche Cayenne sitting outside of one of the bays. I walked up to the counter told him who I was and then asked "Adam gone for the day?" (as his desk is right there behind the counter). Duder was like "nah, did you see that Porsche outside? Adam's out there trying to diagnose it for a customer. It was just shipped up here from Florida for us to work on. We didn't even realize Porsche offered a diesel in those things". I was blown away at that point. These guys are now my go-to shop if I need work done on the tree fiddy going forward.

I know folks are often looking for good diesel shops in the area so figured I'd give these guys a shout out and share my experience. Adam can come off a little short over the phone, but I quickly came to realize it's because HE is the one running the shop, managing his techs and is CONSTANTLY on the phone with customers and getting ish done. He just ain't got time to waste dealing with BS which I can totally understand and respect.

Last edited:
Is that @snappy 's buddy Adam?
If so Ive bought and sold some stuff from him and he was a great dude. AT the time I thought either all he did was Duramax or at least specialized in Duramax.

If so Ive bought and sold some stuff from him and he was a great dude. AT the time I thought either all he did was Duramax or at least specialized in Duramax.
Sounds like we're speaking of the same guy. I think my BIL knows Snappy as well from Parks.

But yea, that was a question I had as well. When you go to their website it definitely says Duramax. But when you roll up to his shop, it's clear he works on them all. I'd bet he started w/ Duramax bc (I believe) they cut their teeth working on them at Parks but as the business has evolved they got into the others.

With my limited time talking with Adam (otp and in person), I tend to agree...seemed like a solid, salt-of-the-earth kind of guy.

I can echo @rcalexander105 on Pure Diesel...great folks and great work (fast too)! I took my truck to them on a Tuesday when I discovered a squeaking from the engine (quick look under the hood showed harmonic balancer coming apart). Adam said he was booked and wouldn't be able to look at it for a few days. He could tell I was a bit let down and I told him I was supposed to be leaving for Harlan on Thursday morning. He then said, "let me see what I can do". With no promises made, he called me Wednesday morning and told me he could have it wrapped up by lunch. Needless to say, I made the Harlan trip and I have an awesome diesel mechanic.

Sounds like we're speaking of the same guy. I think my BIL knows Snappy as well from Parks.

But yea, that was a question I had as well. When you go to their website it definitely says Duramax. But when you roll up to his shop, it's clear he works on them all. I'd bet he started w/ Duramax bc (I believe) they cut their teeth working on them at Parks but as the business has evolved they got into the others.

With my limited time talking with Adam (otp and in person), I tend to agree...seemed like a solid, salt-of-the-earth kind of guy.

Yes Adam is a stand up guy and has built his shop with techs that know each make and model. He has done a LOT of work for me. You will not be disappointed if you go there at all......

Update for a shop that stands behind their work.

Couple weeks ago I noticed my truck was loosing some coolant. Did a once over and nothing really stood out other than some coolant remanence in the engine bay . Called Adam back up and said the truck is still leaking cooling from somewhere after the water pump fix, but I can't much tell from where. He told me to bring it by and he'd fit it in and pressure test it. Dropped it off Tuesday right around 5pm, got a call Wednesday around 3pm saying it appeared to just be the upper coolant hose not seated on the radiator properly. Picked it up yesterday and didn't charge me a thing (which I told him I very much appreciated).

Needless to say, he's earned my repeat business next time I don't have the time / tools / ability to fix my junk.

Last edited:
I know Adam personally. We went to school together, our kids play ball together and we live right around the corner from each other. Anytime i have a diesel question he is who i call and he never leads me astray. He is a stand up guy and i would recommend his shop to anyone needing diesel work done. I’m not sure if he is on this forum or not but i will make sure he sees these comments. Thanks guys!!

I have to ask... would these guys be knowledgeable with the old 1st gen 12-valve Cummins? I may need a good mechanic someday. Seems they are scarce in in my area.

I have to ask... would these guys be knowledgeable with the old 1st gen 12-valve Cummins? I may need a good mechanic someday. Seems they are scarce in in my area.
I'd imagine so. Give them a call and talk to Adam

They get my vote!

I had read these posts and was planning on taking my F250 to them early 2022 for a new clutch and bellowed up-pipes with a strong possibility of upgraded turbo & injectors. Its actually the reason I bought the motorcycle carrier from @BigSouth so I wouldn't have to call in a favor! Well life has different plans and on a trip to Greensboro, I did the 2-3 shift and felt the truck buck a little and the trans was stuck in 3rd, but I was able to coast to an exit and pulled in a school parking lot with what I thought was a bent clutch fork. Called Pure Diesel and they were booked 2-3 weeks out, but being 23 miles away it made sense to have it towed and wait. Adam called me to say the pressure plate had exploded, but everything else was in good condition. Opted for a 475hp clutch & bellowed up-pipes (new clutch came with a single piece flywheel & upgraded clutch fork) and the bill came in $1k cheaper than I was expecting! Clutch has been broken in with ~700 miles of stop/go & back-roads and the truck is back on the road!

My only complaint is the new pressure plate is softer so the first time I got out of the C30 I hulk smashed the F250 clutch pedal to the firewall!

Pure Diesel helped me out as well earlier this year, I needed to source an intake manifold for the 6.5 in my '96 K2500, the original had broken off bolt ears on the back. After failing to find one in any local salvage yards, I gave them a call on a lark. They had a 'parts truck' on the lot and pulled the manifold for me.
They are 1 1/2 hours away from my house, but if I needed work that I couldn't do, I wouldn't hesitate to take it to them.

@Curtis_H just had another great experience with them as well. Truly too notch folks over there.

I have to ask... would these guys be knowledgeable with the old 1st gen 12-valve Cummins? I may need a good mechanic someday. Seems they are scarce in in my area

Yes sir they had a badass home made hauler last week with one in there. Adam now has 6 or 7 mechanics and they all have an area they was well versed in. Have seen them work on both roatary pumped and p pumped 1st gens

^^^ I am a little late in stumbling across this. My injection pump developed a leak. fortunately it was just what I will refer to as a bowl gasket. While in there, I rotated the fuel pin (used last word indicator to find peak). Also, installed 3200 RPM spring. Then did full adjustment step-by-step according to factory service manual. Finally, readjusted main fuel screw to about 1/4 turn before runaway. It is now tweaked out as far as it can go without changing injectors & turbo which I have no intention of doing. It made a big difference and I am delighted with it. So, for now I don't need a mechanic, but will definitely keep these guys in mind.

How's low boost smoke when driving?

Just a puff, then clears. I did not mess with the smoke screw nor the star wheel. I have no interest in blowing excessive soot and wasting fuel.

I always flip the starwheel, run it to the bottom, then bring it 4 complete turns up. That's as tight as it can be without binding the spring. Then I grind the stops off the low boost control screw flush with the boss so it can travel higher. This is as much control as I can manage to get on low boost fueling....to STOP it from smoking and wasting fuel. :rolleyes: Never assume.

If you'll always run stock injectors and the stock turbo, you'll be fine. I had to do everything I could on my K30 to counteract the larger injectors when rowing through the gears, but I manage low 20s for mileage out of a brick on 40s with 4.56s :D VE pumps fuel much harder on the low end than in the higher RPMs, by design.

As good as it is running right now I won't touch it. Repeat old saying... if it ain't broke... don't fix it! :) Oh yeah... I do appreciate the info! :beer:

I work for the government...if it ain't broke, we fix it til it is!

Back